Solar panel leaks

gwar9999

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
We replaced our often leaky solar panels last year w/ newer and more efficient panels. When we replaced them, we also had to replace a bunch of metal roof tiles because the salt/chlorine did some extensive damage to them. Anyhow, for the second time this summer a panel is leaking (actually, it's not the panels but the plumbing between them). Is this normal to have so many issues especially with a recently installed system? It seems like every summer we're just used to paying the only-solar-guy-in-town to come out and make repairs but I wonder is this guy is incompetent or if it's just the price of having solar panels.

One of the joins is leaking?
I think a "pro" should be able to install without leaking joins, I'm a complete rookie at it yet I plumbed in 50' or so without a single leaking join (boy was I happy and a bit surprised).
If it's a leaking join it should be pretty easy to fix and I don't see why the original installer wouldn't do it for free, it's his mistake and not hard to fix.

Wow, that's depressing to hear! It seems like every single summer we have had at least one leaky join whether it was our old inherited system or the new one we had installed last summer. I just assumed since we had a metal roof that the panels and plumbing up there wee susceptible to expansion and contraction that it was common for there to be occasional issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.