Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar panel leaks

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar panel leaks

We replaced our often leaky solar panels last year w/ newer and more efficient panels. When we replaced them, we also had to replace a bunch of metal roof tiles because the salt/chlorine did some extensive damage to them. Anyhow, for the second time this summer a panel is leaking (actually, it's not the panels but the plumbing between them). Is this normal to have so many issues especially with a recently installed system? It seems like every summer we're just used to paying the only-solar-guy-in-town to come out and make repairs but I wonder is this guy is incompetent or if it's just the price of having solar panels.
    13,000 gallon fiberglass pool
    Auto Pilot - Pool Pilot Digital SWG
    S.R. Smith - Turbo Twister slide
    Aquabot - Turbo T Jet cleaner
    Jandy - CS250 cartridge filter
    RayPak - CR206 gas heater
    Pentair - WhisperFlo 1.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar panel leaks

One of the joins is leaking?
    I think a "pro" should be able to install without leaking joins, I'm a complete rookie at it yet I plumbed in 50' or so without a single leaking join (boy was I happy and a bit surprised).
    If it's a leaking join it should be pretty easy to fix and I don't see why the original installer wouldn't do it for free, it's his mistake and not hard to fix.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

We hear very few issues with solar panel installs. You should go years without having any issues on a properly installed system.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, that's depressing to hear! It seems like every single summer we have had at least one leaky join whether it was our old inherited system or the new one we had installed last summer. I just assumed since we had a metal roof that the panels and plumbing up there wee susceptible to expansion and contraction that it was common for there to be occasional issues.
    13,000 gallon fiberglass pool
    Auto Pilot - Pool Pilot Digital SWG
    S.R. Smith - Turbo Twister slide
    Aquabot - Turbo T Jet cleaner
    Jandy - CS250 cartridge filter
    RayPak - CR206 gas heater
    Pentair - WhisperFlo 1.5 HP pump