Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leave pool open in south Texas?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Texas

Leave pool open in south Texas?

I live near San Antonio. I'm curious how others in this area handle their AGP over winter. I don't think I need to close. But do I need to buy a cover? If so, what kind is best here? Do I just maintain chemicals? Leave it open and just keep solar cover on? Run pump all night when it's super cold? Really no idea the best way to proceed and would much appreciate guidance from others in the area. Thank you!
    30'x54" AGP..22000 gals.
    -Millennium 22" sand filter
    -Waterway 1.5 hp SPL 2-speed pump.
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Leave pool open in south Texas?

I've left mine open and closed it. I much prefer closing. But there are people who prefer leaving theirs open. If you leave it open, you just run it like you normally would, it'll just use less chlorine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

I'm on I-20 NE of you and I don't close. My wife would rather look at it all winter!. I just run the pump when it's freezing is the only difference-------and chemical use goes to almost nuthin'.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wylie, Texas

Same with us, though we leave ours running on low until the temps start hitting consistently "very cold." I think below 50 is where the algae finds it hard to grow, but could be mistaken. Anyway, we have a 2-speed pump which costs around $20/mo to run 24/7/365. So we leave our pool open and go sit on the deck and enjoy the view. We're up North a little from you, in Wylie (DFW area).
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2