Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need a new swg- help with replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

need a new swg- help with replacement

my 3 year old intex swg has bit the dust. we have a 27' 19,000 gallon pool. i haven't had any problems with the intex model, i think the plates have just worn out. i can keep the pool clear with the bbb method till closing in a few weeks.

i have read good and bad about the new intex models, should i just save $50 bucks and buy an older model now, or the new one with copper ionizer? or would anyone recommend another brand that is comparable with the price?

i really would love your input. thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: need a new swg- help with replacement

With a pool the size of yours I would get the old model. You don't want the copper in your pool anyway, and it makes half as much chlorine as the older model.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    St. John's, Newfoundland

Re: need a new swg- help with replacement

If you can find an older model, then definitely get that. Also, if you find them, please PM me with a link (or post it here). The new models are capable of adding 12 mg per hour chlorine, and the older models are rated at 24 mg per hour (so your cell wouldn't have to work as long). And as Bama said, the new ones add copper as well and you don't want that (you can disconnect that though). So in my opinion, definitely spring for the older model.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit