Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pink Algae need help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pink Algae need help

I'm just starting to see some pink algae. Some at the deep end and some at the stairs. The water is nice and clear. Filix
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pink Algae need help

The answer is chlorine and performing the proper shock process until you pass the OCLT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thankyou Dave. But whats the OCLT?
    18k IG 16'x32' vinyl liner Haywood S-200 high rate sand filter pump Haywood Encl.3 1hp A.O.Smith Corp

4. Back To Top    #4

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Click the link in my signature or search for it in Pool School.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thankyou Dave. Couple more questions. Does it hurt your solar cover to cover the pool when the chlorine is so high? And should I keep the pump going all night? Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by filix
    Does it hurt your solar cover to cover the pool when the chlorine is so high?
    We would recommend leaving the cover off at least during the day so that the sun's uv light can help with the shocking process. You can put the cover on night, the shock levels we recommend will not shorten the solar cover life much (unless you are shocking for a long time...i.e. many weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by filix
    should I keep the pump going all night?
    I would, especially with a sand filter, since that will speed up getting the dead algae debris out of the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.