Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost to Operate and Maintain a Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost to Operate and Maintain a Pool

I understand that their are a number of variables, but I am looking for a best ballpark figure to operate and maintain a pool in Riverside California, specifically Murrieta.

I don't know how big of a pool as of yet, as we are looking to move back to California, so I don't have a house picked out as of yet.
    Brian

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cost to Operate and Maintain a Pool

There are way too many variables. How many gallons? Vinyl, plaster, Pebble-Tec? What kind of sanitation? Salt pool? What kind of pumps? Heated? Just a pool or pool/spa combo? Will you be doing BBB or using a pool store for supplies? Those are just a few that will make a huge difference in cost. I could tell you what it cost me , but your cost could easily be double or more. It could also be half, so it wouldn't mean very much.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

My preference is Salt water. How big, I don't know.
    Plaster
    Pool and spa combo
    I will handle the chemicals use a pool sto for supplies.
    Again I am just looking for A ball park.. How big is your pool,pool and spa? Are we talking around $500-$800 a month, or $250-$300? Just looking for some sort of guidelines, wondering if I should stay way from it all together? I hate community pools, and in Murrieta, it is warm during the summer, so I want to take advantage of it.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you stay out of the pool store you'll be in a much better position financially.
    18'x48" AG
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP Dynamo Pump
    Sand Dollar Sand Filter w/ Zeobrite
    Lil Shark Vacuum System
    Hard Plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

We live in very different locations, but on the BBB it costs me about $500 a year on chemicals, and approximately $50 monthly dePending on run times for our 17,000 gal pool. We do not have a spa and We do not use our heater often, but if we did it would increase our gas bill considerably over what it is normally...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Your biggest cost by far will be energy. I run my pump 24/7.

That costs around 80 bucks a month. Add in water and bleach and I'm under 110 a month.

Oh, and worth every single penny. It cost me much more to water my lawn than operating the pool.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in Tustin, CA and my entire home electric bill (no A/C) runs about $150 per month running my pump & salt system about 4.5 hours per day which I know is low, but it works for me - clear water and no algae. I probably spend about $20/month on acid, but I'm trying to reduce that. The only chemical I buy at the pool store is acid.
    24,000gal IG gunnite pool+spillover spa, DE filter, IntelliFlo VS 3050
    EasyTouch 4 + IC40 SWCG, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Well less than 250/month. Even with a huge pool in the Riverside sun, you probably won't spend anywhere near that, unless you're running heaters all the time!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

24/7 will bankrupt you in California. No pool should need more than a turnover a day and even at that, if you choose an energy efficient two speed or variable speed pump, you can keep the energy costs in check.

A typical pool run at one turn per day and assuming a 3/4 FRHP two speed pump, the pump will use about 38 kwh/10000 gallons @ 1.6 hours/day.

So if you have a 20k pool and pay $0.30/kwh, that will be about $23/month. 24/7 would put the cost at $173/month.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you guys, that is what I was looking for just a best guess, based on the area. This gives me a better sense as to what I am looking at.
    Thanks again.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd say you also have to figure in long term maintenance....replacing the pump & filter - I did that 1st year we opened the pool - 8 years ago now
    Replacing odds & ends - hand skimmers, toys/floats, patio furniture, umbrella's...etc etc
    I have a vinyl liner, so 9 years after we bought the house that is being replaced
    I know we spend less then $200 a yr on chemicals & water maintenance - switched to rainwater for top off last year
    I only run the pump as needed, 4-8 hours a day.
    Our pool was down this year & Junes electric bill was $11 less then last year (open pool in May), July was $34 less, Aug $41 less

Our pool is open June-Sept so maybe about $100 a month, then long term maintenance might be another $200 a year not counting big purchases
    30 yr old 16x32' IG pool, ~16,600g, Hayward DE 4820 filter w/1.5hp pump, Solar heat

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

My salt pool/spa adds $40-50 per month to my electric bill. Maybe $10 to my water bill (high evaporation in a desert), and $15 for chemicals (mostly just acid). In addition you need to allow for about $500 or so annually in misc repair items. Some years nothing and some lots of repair cost.

So I would guess my total cost is right around $125 per month. But some months were $1,000+, while others $50.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a 15000 gallon pool and it costs about 110$ / month to run including electricity. It used to cost me more, until I found this site.
    Now I don't spend money buying PH Minus for like $8 per 2.2 lbs cans nor do I spend money on trichlor pucks and algaecide

14. Back To Top    #14

When I ran my filter 24/7 in Michigan we were using roughly an extra $100/mo. electricity - possibly more when having to fill or refill because we're on well and the pump uses power. With heat, if you have a shady pool, want to extend your season, or like having am temps of 80 and upward after a cool 60s night AND you don't use a cover (but do use cover free ) you can run anywhere from about $150 - $300 a month in natural gas (or more if you like it really warm).

Your greatest monthly pool expense IMHO will be tequila, craft beer, and steak from your ample opportunities to entertain. That will make even the heating bill pale by comparison
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm in Long Beach and I only spend about $10 a month on chemicals, acid only. When we added the pool our electric bill went up $150-$200 a month more. Not sure how much of my SWG cost to run, but it is included in the $150-$200 a month. My season is extended due to my solar panels, so I run my 2-speed on high for a good portion of the time. I run my pump for 10+ hours a day during the swim season and 3 hours in the off season. Off season total costs is less than $75 a month but we use the spa 3-4 nights a week during the off season.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

Some people already touched on the fact that you need to look at "the big picture". When you want to know the total costs, you need to look at every cost the pool adds.

Insurance increase
    Chemicals
    Pumping energy
    Heating energy
    Water costs
    Expense items (gaskets, lube, DE, etc)
    Capital Items (pump motors, filters, controllers, SWG)

So a lot is going to depend on your set-up, how you use it, and your energy costs.

You did get answers on how much energy a typical pump/filter will use in your area, as well as average chemical costs (I spend about $25 a month on chemicals myself).

See if your insurance rates are going to go up, and take a look at what kind of equipment you would like to have and it's cost and expected life span.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

17. Back To Top    #17

18x52 intex salt water
    little over 3 month of summer, including 4 bags of salt and to fill in water at the begging, total $350.
    pump runs 5hrs daily, pool was filled through garden hose.
    Intex 18x52 salt water (SOLD)