spa valve circulating water from pool

Aug 26, 2012
Hello,
First time poster here and I'm just starting the learning process about my new pool. Recently when switching to SPA mode, the water does not heat up to the desired temperature and instead it slowly gets luke warm. I also notice that water over flows the spa and into the pool. This leads me to believe that the valve is not working properly and is pulling water from the pool, sending it through the heater, and returning it into the spa. This would cause the water to only be luke warm since it's not isolating the spa water like it should. The heater seems to be working perfectly fine. FYI I have a pentair easy touch system.

Can someone give me some pointers on where to start diagnosing?

Thanks!!

fastgsxauto said:
Hello,
First time poster here and I'm just starting the learning process about my new pool. Recently when switching to SPA mode, the water does not heat up to the desired temperature and instead it slowly gets luke warm. I also notice that water over flows the spa and into the pool. This leads me to believe that the valve is not working properly and is pulling water from the pool, sending it through the heater, and returning it into the spa. This would cause the water to only be luke warm since it's not isolating the spa water like it should. The heater seems to be working perfectly fine. FYI I have a pentair easy touch system.

Can someone give me some pointers on where to start diagnosing?

Thanks!!

It seems likely that the suction side actuator is not operating properly. When you switch from pool to spa and back again, both actuators should rotate.

If they don't the one that doesn't move is the culprit.

fastgsxauto said:
Thanks for the reply! Excuse my ignorance, but how do I tell if the actuator is switching or not?

The actuators (there are typically two of them) are the electric motors that operate the valves that switch between pool and spa mode on both the suction side (at the inlet to the pump) and the return side (after the heater).

They should both change positions when you switch between pool and spa modes.

If this is still confusing, post a picture of your equipment pad.

when you switch to spa mode, 2 valves must turn, one on the suction side and one on the return side. You should be able to see the valve handles turning.

Is sounds like you were still sucking cold water from the pool and then returning it to the spa ... So it never got very hot.

Check the suction valve and actuator just in front of the pump.

Post up some pictures if you are still confused.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.