Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa valve circulating water from pool

1. Back To Top    #1

spa valve circulating water from pool

Hello,
    First time poster here and I'm just starting the learning process about my new pool. Recently when switching to SPA mode, the water does not heat up to the desired temperature and instead it slowly gets luke warm. I also notice that water over flows the spa and into the pool. This leads me to believe that the valve is not working properly and is pulling water from the pool, sending it through the heater, and returning it into the spa. This would cause the water to only be luke warm since it's not isolating the spa water like it should. The heater seems to be working perfectly fine. FYI I have a pentair easy touch system.

Can someone give me some pointers on where to start diagnosing?

Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: spa valve circulating water from pool

Quote Originally Posted by fastgsxauto
    Hello,
    First time poster here and I'm just starting the learning process about my new pool. Recently when switching to SPA mode, the water does not heat up to the desired temperature and instead it slowly gets luke warm. I also notice that water over flows the spa and into the pool. This leads me to believe that the valve is not working properly and is pulling water from the pool, sending it through the heater, and returning it into the spa. This would cause the water to only be luke warm since it's not isolating the spa water like it should. The heater seems to be working perfectly fine. FYI I have a pentair easy touch system.

Can someone give me some pointers on where to start diagnosing?

Thanks!!
    It seems likely that the suction side actuator is not operating properly. When you switch from pool to spa and back again, both actuators should rotate.

If they don't the one that doesn't move is the culprit.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply! Excuse my ignorance, but how do I tell if the actuator is switching or not?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by fastgsxauto
    Thanks for the reply! Excuse my ignorance, but how do I tell if the actuator is switching or not?
    The actuators (there are typically two of them) are the electric motors that operate the valves that switch between pool and spa mode on both the suction side (at the inlet to the pump) and the return side (after the heater).

They should both change positions when you switch between pool and spa modes.

If this is still confusing, post a picture of your equipment pad.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

when you switch to spa mode, 2 valves must turn, one on the suction side and one on the return side. You should be able to see the valve handles turning.

Is sounds like you were still sucking cold water from the pool and then returning it to the spa ... So it never got very hot.

Check the suction valve and actuator just in front of the pump.

Post up some pictures if you are still confused.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll have to check mine too! I'm a little concerned about my setup.
    Good luck!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html