Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains ? What causes them & how to eliminate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains ? What causes them & how to eliminate?

When we took over this pool in our new house, the previous owner had a pool service. They had a PoolRx metal thing in the pump's filter area. Based on what I read here, not a good thing to use so I removed it. We have come to notice that there are some small (1/4" - 1/2") stains on the pool floor & walls. (they were likely there before I removed that PoolRx thing; but we just started noticing the stains.) I tried rubbing them off, thinking they were just dirt, but they are definitely brown stains of some sort.

What caused that? Can they be somewhat easily removed? Is there some 'adjustment' to my checmicals that is needed?
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains ? What causes them & how to eliminate?

try using some vitamin c on the stains, if they fade that would confirm it is a metal stain.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

PoolRx has copper so the stains are likely copper stains.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    try using some vitamin c on the stains, if they fade that would confirm it is a metal stain.

How do I apply the Vitamin C ? what is the process & how much do I use? And if it IS a Copper stain, is there any other way to remove it?
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

One method is to get some of the vitamin c tablets and break them up and put them in a sock which you just set on the stain for a little while. This may work if they are small spots.

If you confirm they are metal stains, there are while pool treatments. See the article in Pool School.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks !