Looking forward to owning my pool again

Hey folks....
After a difficult year and a half of financial ups and downs, the time had come to get my pool back. So glad I stumbled upon this site and the BBB method. What we had here was our own swamp complete with the frogs, a snake, bugs......and just filth.
Money still tight, but have a Taylor K-2006 on its way....wanted the TF, but found the Taylor for under $53 shipped.
For the past week and a couple days, been bombarding the pool with bleach. Got some test strips because I figured at least it was some kind of reading, primarily looking for a CYA level and the pH.
Strips had CYA at 30-50 and pH at 7.5. Those strips only read FC to 10ppm. Luckily, I have a family member at Grainger......she got me strips just for FC that read to 25.
Been keeping the FC between 20 and 25. Took exactly one week for the water to be crystal clear while cleaning the filters 3 times.
As of now, water clear...brushing daily stirring up what appears to be grayish dead algae. Going to keep the FC at that shock level until the brushing stirs up nothing or until the kit arrives anytime between Monday and Wednesday so my wife and I can learn to use it properly.
And yes, the pool has been running constantly only shut down to empty the pump basket and to clean the filters. May my light bill this month be slightly forgiving.
Once the kit comes in, I'll give full readings and start looking to what else I need to get in line for some late summer pool enjoyment.

Loving this site and all the info so far....

Mappy said:
Hey folks....
After a difficult year and a half of financial ups and downs, the time had come to get my pool back. So glad I stumbled upon this site and the BBB method. What we had here was our own swamp complete with the frogs, a snake, bugs......and just filth.
Money still tight, but have a Taylor K-2006 on its way....wanted the TF, but found the Taylor for under $53 shipped.
For the past week and a couple days, been bombarding the pool with bleach. Got some test strips because I figured at least it was some kind of reading, primarily looking for a CYA level and the pH.
Strips had CYA at 30-50 and pH at 7.5. Those strips only read FC to 10ppm. Luckily, I have a family member at Grainger......she got me strips just for FC that read to 25.
Been keeping the FC between 20 and 25. Took exactly one week for the water to be crystal clear while cleaning the filters 3 times.
As of now, water clear...brushing daily stirring up what appears to be grayish dead algae. Going to keep the FC at that shock level until the brushing stirs up nothing or until the kit arrives anytime between Monday and Wednesday so my wife and I can learn to use it properly.
And yes, the pool has been running constantly only shut down to empty the pump basket and to clean the filters. May my light bill this month be slightly forgiving.
Once the kit comes in, I'll give full readings and start looking to what else I need to get in line for some late summer pool enjoyment.

Loving this site and all the info so far....

keep in mind that the taylor 2006 only has enough CYA reagent for about 3 or 4 tests I think. When you run the test if you arent sure of the result just pour the test mix from the test tube back into the mixing bottle and drip it back into the test tube.

You also dont need to test CYA regularly. I havent tested it in maybe a month since we had a bunch of rain.

You can do an initial test, if you need more CYA you can add it, wait a few days, then test again. After that it will likely be stable

Ok.....got my test kit....
First readings (with a tad bit of double-checking):
FC 6
CC .5 or less.....barely pink but 1 drop cleared it instantly
pH 7.3 Going to add a little borax....I want that 7.5 sweet spot
TA 90
CH 310
CYA 37 Going to throw some granules in a sock....looking for about 45

Kids jumped in for the first time in a loooooong time after school.
We were amazed at how our daughters hair looked and felt and how their eyes weren't all bloodshot.

Truly loving BBB.

Thanks for allowing me to stumble upon this wonderful info!

Most of us use a hosting service such as Flickr or Photobucket.

Once you have the pic hosted, use the image's url and the IMG tags to post it.

If you need a tutorial, just ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.