Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump recommendations

I posted a similar question at the Pool Forum, but I'm not sure if there's significant traffic there at this time. So, I'd like to ask here as well.

We may need to replace our old 2 hp pump. We have an 11,000 gallon gunnite pool, with a raised spa/waterfall. Our filter is a Purex Triton FNSP 60. The pump is a Purex Triton Ultra Flow, 2hp. I'm not sure if it is a 2 speed pump, but when we turn on the spa, it does seem to ramp up to keep the spa jets going. (edited to add that I believe we have a 1 hp booster pump as well, so that might be what is moving the water in the spa).

What size pump should we get? I'd really like to lower our electricity bill. I'd be okay with a smaller, dependable (and quiet) pump that just keeps the water flowing.

Thanks,

Caroline

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump recommendations

Because of the spa jets, I would not reduce the size of the pump otherwise the spa jets will end up weaker. However,you might be able to replace the motor with a two speed so when not using the spa, you could run on low speed.

The new A.O. Smith B2984 is a very efficient two speed motor that should fit your pump's wet end.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I should mention - we haven't used the spa in years, and keeping our electricity bill down is more important these days. Also, keeping the cost of the pump down is important as well.

Sorry, I should have put that in the original post.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mark's recommendation is good. You will save a lot of energy costs by running on low speed most of the time while maintaining the option of the spa with high speed.

And replacing just the motor is certainly the cheapest option.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks very much to both of you - I honestly never considered just replacing the motor. And a two speed would certainly serve our pool's needs very well.

6. Back To Top    #6

You will need to also order the seal kit when replacing the motor.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. Our repair person should be coming by this week, and I will reinforce that.

8. Back To Top    #8

Our repair guy is suggesting that we replace the entire pump because ours is discontinued and replacement parts are at a premium. This sounds logical, but we have been jerked around by various
    pool service people over the past few years. So, I'm a bit cautious.

9. Back To Top    #9

motors are motors and pretty sure the seals are the same. Maybe if other parts need replacing that could be a problem, but the motor should not be discontinued.

Jason, TFP Moderator