Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Algae with plenty of chlorine present

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Algae with plenty of chlorine present

Greetings,

When my pool warms up in the summer I get small amounts of green algae forming, primarily in areas where the Kreepy Krauly can't reach (corners, steps, etc). I have a saltwater pool and there is plenty of chlorine always available but I find myself brushing back algae more often than I would like (2x per week). The water is crystal clear and there is not a LOT of algae, but I am wondering how it grows in the presence of chlorine.

Note that this has only begun now that my pool temp is consistently above 80 degrees this summer. It had never shown up in colder temps.

Perhaps this is normal and it is easy to brush off the vinyl surface, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Tom
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Algae with plenty of chlorine present

Do you have a test kit? How do you define "plenty"? What are your test numbers?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Never below 3, normally about 5
    21K Gal Vinyl In Ground with block wall sides (Self Built with help), Pentair Easy Touch controller, Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellichlor salt system, Clean and Clear Plus filter, SR Smith Typhoon Slide

4. Back To Top    #4

We need a full set of results, including CYA, but 3-5ppm FC may not be sufficient depending on your CYA level to keep algae at bay, if you can do a full test (FC, CC, TA, CH, pH, CYA) those figures will greatly help in anyone assisting you.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it - I will get those numbers together and re-post

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you refer to corners and steps where the algae grows, that sounds like poor circulation. That allows the local chlorine level to get depleted. You might consider orienting your returns differently to try and get better circulation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Turns out it was low CYA - added some and things have stabilized.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

That does not really make any sense.

If there was no CYA and you maintained 3+ppm of FC, there is NO WAY algae would have grown.

Granted that with a SWG you want the CYA to be a little higher to protect the FC from the sun. But, if the CYA was too low, you would have measured 0 FC because it would have been lost to the sun as fast as the SWG could generate it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The chlorine was getting lost to the sun as it was being generated - there was very low chlorine - lower than I had reported. The pH was a tad high too, but the CYA level was the main culprit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tomzo
    there was very low chlorine - lower than I had reported.
    Ah, well there is the missing piece of information. Just wanted to be clear for any future browsers of the forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!