Shipping TF 100 test kit to Australia

juzzie

Aug 25, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, have realized that I need a proper test kit to get my pool under control.

As I am in Australia I have to go through a proxy address company to get shipped down under so it is not cheap.

Therefore I would like to know if I should order some extra refills to go with the kit?

I know it is not good to store the chemicals etc. for too long, but are there some things that you use heaps quicker than others?

I want to get a whole season out of the kit...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS. Can't seem to find anywhere in Australia to buy the Pool School recommended kits.

Dave from TFTestKits shouldn't be long with a reply regarding the tf100 kit, another option you can consider if the tf100 is going to be too difficult to import is contact palintest au for details on their FAS-DPD test kits in Australia, which could be added to your existing kit for testing at high chlorine levels. I purchased here in the UK two sp400 kits (Oxystop) from palintest uk which cost a total of £93GBP or $141AUD including VAT and Postage, I have a lovibond comparator for testing upto 4ppm chlorine and everything else then use the SP400 kit for higher chlorine levels.

Dave can not knowingly ship the TF100 out of the US due to his contract with Taylor. Discussing ways to circumvent this on the forum is frowned upon and jeopardizes his business.

The are certainly other options like from Palin which are equivalent.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

the key is getting the FAS-DPD chlorine test. And using drop based tests are certainly better than strips and likely better than tablet based tests.

Yip Palintest SP-200 or SP-300 contact them and they can advise of price. Certainly in the UK the minimum order value is £50 + VAT and Shipping so you need to buy two kits to make the value up. The rest of your tests can be carried out with a decent test kit you can get in your territory. The most accurate testing equipment you can get is a Lovibond or Palintest Photometer (not the cheap photometers which sell in the range if £40) But they only work on chlorine residuals between 0 and 5/10ppm which is fine and dandy for normal operation, which is where my inference above comes from of only using a FAS-DPD drop test kit when levels are above what your standard kit can test.

Outside North America my understanding is basically build your own test kit to suit your needs.

Thanks SerbianPoolGuy.

I have tracked down palintest in Australia and will go and see the guy on Saturday, but it is from a pool shop so I will have to gauge their attitude before I will buy from them.

The pool shop is what have got me into the mess I am in, therefore I am very mistrustful!

Besides that, everything is extremely expensive in Australia and buying direct from USA is much cheaper.

Cheers!

G'day mate!

There are a couple of posts on this forum about getting good test kits here in Oz. I'll post the links next time I'm on my computer.

Just make sure you get the drop test for chlorine. Not sure if any of the Palin kits available in Australia (especially from a pool shop) will have the FAS-DPD test.

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmmm... I posted a detailed reply earlier with the link, but it's not here now?!? I'll see if I've posted it in the wrong thread...

Nope... lots of shops in QLD, but unfortunately they all seem to have the same agenda. I started off faithfully taking my samples down to the local shop every other day, but then the numbers just weren't making sense (fluctuating for no reason). One day I took the same sample to a couple of stores and got wildy different numbers. I was getting BS responses when I asked simple questions like why my TA readings would change 40ppm (requiring a purchase) in 2 days with no rain or other external factors. That's when I decided to take matters into my own hands and have never looked back! Luckily for me that was only after about 1 month of pool ownership so I've never even had so much as a hint of a problem with my water. To be honest I have found one place that I trust, but it's a bit of a drive, so I just buy my supplies from them when I need to. They also use Taylor reagents, so I plan on taking a sample to them once or twice a year to make sure my reagents are still good - they're happy to help.

Now... where did I post my last reply...

Hey stevo, have done a bit of snooping and searched on "Australia" and saw some of your earlier posts. So will be following up on those...

The pool shop down here is not much chop. The place where I am living is my father in laws place (he's moved up to Queensland) and I believe they have been leading him astray for years.

Not quite sure how to break the news to him....

The funny thing is he always had the pool looking fantastic and sparkling beautifully all through summer!

Only when I got my hands on it did it go pretty well all through summer until one day pow - instant green in less than 24 hours!

Well, I can't find my missing post anywhere, so I'm not sure what happened to it?!? I went into a fair bit of detail, and probably can't recall everything (or have the time now to re-write it now. In a nutshell...

The link to the previous thread about test kits in Aus is here: test-kits-available-in-australia-t27883-20.html?hilit=test%20kits%20in%20australia

Read the whole thread and you'll see it's really hard to get purchase decent kit from an Australian supplier for reasons I'm yet to determine (I do know why the pool shops wouldn't want to stock them though!). You'll read in that thread that I second SerbianPoolGuy's recommendation on where to get a Taylor K-2006 kit. That company also has a website you can check out (kits/reagents and such), and I highly recommend them for service and support getting these kits into Aus. For some reason, very few US companies are willing to ship these to Australia (FAS-DPD tests seem to be the main ones hard to come by here)? I've even asked at pool shops that use Taylor reagents, and they can't order it - nor had they even heard of it. For those reasons I was worried they'd get stopped at customs, but 2 shipments have got through fine so far.

I've found the K-2006 to be adequate for my needs don't really regret my decision not to get the bigger K-2006C version. I was really fanatical about testing my new pool for the for 3-4months and tested every day (sometimes twice a day!), so I went through a fair bit of reagent at first. Now that I know my pool better and don't have "new pool fever", I find that a little bit goes a long way. It's the chlorine test reagents you'll probably go through more than anything, so consider getting an extra bottle of DPD Powder R-0870 and DPD-FAS R-0871-A Titrating Reagent and you should find you go through it quicker than the time it takes to go bad. I suppose an extra pH Solution #4 would go astray, especially if you have a salt water pool because you'll probably need to check pH regularly. You don't get many CYA tests per bottle, but luckily I found the place I mentioned in my last post could supply me with a huge bottle for $8 so I just use it to refill the little Taylor bottles and it works just fine. The other test (TA and Calcium) really don't need to be done as regularly as chlorine and pH, so you should get a season out of the initial kit stock.

I know how you feel wondering about what to get up front to save shipping costs, but the truth is it really depends on your own situation and I'm sure you'll figure out what you go through soon enough. The US company that ships the Taylor kits, does US$13 for a smaller shipment of replacement reagents, so that helps keep costs down. You should definitely also consider adding a Taylor SpeedStir to the kit. It seems a bit geeky at first, but honestly it makes life sooooooo much easier when doing the drop tests I reckon it's well worth it. Many on this forum will agree.

If you have your heart set on a TF-100 kit, the only option I can find is the post by Strannik right at the very end of the link above (on page 2). TD Chlorinators has stocked the TF-100 kits (and refills) on and off, and it looks like they've had some in stock recently. They were out of stock when I was in the market, but emails were answered promptly so it's worth asking the question about their intentions to hold stock.

Hope this helps...

Steve.

To all the fellow Australian site members I am looking at purchasing the Taylor k-2006 and a salt testing kit too from the USA http://www.saltwaterpoolparts.com since I am still struggling to find a decent one in Australia. After being plagued by pump issues I have got me some black algae and have finally decided I need to get a decent test kit. As shipping is around $50 no matter how many kits I order just wanted to see if anyone else was interested in ordering a kit or refills to cut down on postage costs for all. I am in Brisbane but postage should not be that much around OZ once the order arrives. Let me know if you are interested and what you want ordered and I will confirm with people before I go ahead with the order.

Why not just get the TF100 which comes with more reagent and is available in Australia? Or its the salt test the problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.