Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum head question

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum head question

Searched for this and only found one thread with limited posts so thought I'd ask anyway:

Gunite pool style roller vacuum: OK to use with Vinyl liner IG pool? Google searching has turned up mixed responses. I used one on a concrete pool for years, and it amazes me how darn slow it is to use the crummy lightweight, triangular "vinyl pool" vacuum head. Our PB says it's fine to use the roller style. I'd like to know how many TFP members do this, and please share your opinions and experiences.
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum head question

50+ views. Nobody has tried this?
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know about vinyl pools, but I seriously prefer the roller ball gunite type vacuum head over the painfully slow to use triangular brush head the PB left us for our fiberglass pool.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a vinyl pool and when I was shopping for a vacuum I read multiple online sources that claimed the wheeled head chould more easily get stuck against the liner. I saw a couple sites that also claimed the wheels could damage the liner but this was not as universal - and made no sense to me. I went with the triangular head and a Polaris 380.

Triangular head isn't great but I'm a newbie and have a vacuum suction issue due to faulty ball valves - so I did not know the extent of the problem might made worse by the vacuum head!
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I have an ABG pool and a triangular head vaccum. When I was a kid, I used to take care of my neighbors gunnite pool from time to time, and they had a rectangular roller vac. Those are indeed so much easier to use.

I debated buying one, but my thought was that if I had a small wrinkle in the liner, and it got somehow caught in the wheel, it could tear the liner. Not likely, but a possibility. I tie wrap a 2lb foam encased dumbell to the top of the triangle vaccum. It helps to keep it on the bottom, and I find I can go a bit faster with it, without having to try and keep it from floating up.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by phonedave
    ....... I tie wrap a 2lb foam encased dumbell to the top of the triangle vaccum. It helps to keep it on the bottom, and I find I can go a bit faster with it, without having to try and keep it from floating up.

-dave
    The foam weight addition: Great idea! I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If you spend the extra money on a weighted vac head, you will love it. We use the Stanley brand on our maintenance trucks and vacuum all types of pools with them. They are stiff enough where they won't get stuck on the bottom of a vinyl liner.
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CPSScott
    If you spend the extra money on a weighted vac head, you will love it. We use the Stanley brand on our maintenance trucks and vacuum all types of pools with them. They are stiff enough where they won't get stuck on the bottom of a vinyl liner.

Mine was weighted - it has sand or gravel or shot inside of it, you can hear it in there. I just weighted it even more by adding the dumbell

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo