Heating my NY Pool

Aug 7, 2012
NY
Hi everyone,

I read several pool heating alternatives on the forum and I have a few questions?

1) If you have a SWG, does the heating system is placed between the Filter and SWG? or after the SWG?
2) I have an intex Rect Ultra frame 24x12x52 (8600 gallons) does anybody out there with the same pool trying to heat it up?
3) Does a single facfo 4x20 is enogh to heat my pool?
4) I have the original 14" Sand filter pump 1600gallons, when do we know we need more pump?

Thanks, so many questions! Your help is very much appreciated.

marolir said:
1) If you have a SWG, does the heating system is placed between the Filter and SWG? or after the SWG?
Heater before (upstream) the swg but after the filter.

marolir said:
3) Does a single facfo 4x20 is enogh to heat my pool?
Depends on many things including how much heat you want. My guess is you will need more than one panel to have an appreciable temp increase. I have about 70% of my pool area in solar panels and get pretty good heating. It won't extend the season much, but it will keep it warmer at the edges of the season.

marolir said:
4) I have the original 14" Sand filter pump 1600gallons, when do we know we need more pump?
Our minimum recommedation is 1.6 sq. ft. sand filter for your 8500 gallon pool. Yours is about 1 sq. ft., so it is a little small...but if it is working for you, then no need to switch it out.

Hi Linen,
I am totally new to pool ownership, I need a 4 yr old explanation. I heard that from another site member.

So,
1) Solar Panel goes between Filter and SWG.
2) How did you get to the 1 sq ft?
3) I noticed you have 6 2x20 panels for our 11k gal. Do you know the difference in temp if you did not have the panels?

thank you again.

I have an approx 16,000g 16x32' inground & (will) use (6) 2x20 panels on my cabana roof
In the past I have only had 4 panels connected & running, redid the cabana roof to add 2 more panels
Without the solar heat my pool stays around 70 degrees, a little more then that with a solar cover
I have a stream on the property, high water table & ground water flow which cools the pool off
Opening in May I can usually have the pool up around mid 70's with decent weather
I usually top out around 88 in mid summer, with a record last year of 92 when air temps hit 104
I'm south of Boston, MA....hoping that with 6 panels I can heat the pool up faster in the spring & keep it warmer into Sept

The panels in your link are only 10' long, but you have 1/2 the water I have to heat, plus its an above ground so daytime temps help heat it
I would think a setup of 4' x 20' panels would work, will depend upon your location, amount of daily sun that hits the panel etc
I like a pool temp of about 84, so all depends upon the temp that you are trying to achieve

Hi everyone,

It may be a stupid question, but anyway.....
Let's suppose that the temperature is 50 deg in late October, but it is sunny, would the system warm up the water in the coils to higher temperatures?
tkx,

marolir said:
Hi everyone,

Let's suppose that the temperature is 50 deg in late October, but it is sunny, would the system warm up the water in the coils to higher temperatures?
tkx,

Yes it will heat the water to a higher Temp
How high will depend upon how much solar heat you have, angle to the sun, and how much sun you receive, pump capacity - gph/gpm going thru the solar heat
The more solar you have, the greater the rise in Temp
Solar heat is used to heat hot water year round in New England
Many people also use it to heat their houses in the Winter

marolir said:
Hi Linen,
I am totally new to pool ownership, I need a 4 yr old explanation. I heard that from another site member.

So,
1) Solar Panel goes between Filter and SWG.Yes
2) How did you get to the 1 sq ft? It quite simple for sand filters: Area = pi*r^2, in your case, pi*(14/12/2)^2= ~1 ft^2
3) I noticed you have 6 2x20 panels for our 11k gal. Do you know the difference in temp if you did not have the panels?I can typically get a 5F boost due to the solar cover(having it on at night at least) and about 5-7F boost due to the solar panels, for a total of 10-12 degrees over what the pool would be at if I used neither, but I do have to be diligent about having the cover on at night and the panels on when the sun is on them in the day for two/three days to get this temperature bump.

thank you again.

DIYliner said:
marolir said:
Hi everyone,

tkx,

How high will depend upon how much solar heat you have, angle to the sun, and how much sun you receive, pump capacity - gph/gpm going thru the solar heat
The volume of pool water you are talking about takes a lot of energy to heat it. Houses and hot water systems require much less.

I would not expect you to be able to heat a 50F pool to get it much above 60F, unless you have a lot of solar panels (much more than I have, in a optimal angle to the sun with great sun and very warm days). When a pool gets down to 50F, the nights at that point (at least around here) are cold. My guess is the only way you will be able to heat a pool that is at 50F to say above 70F in your climate, will be a gas heater (and the gas required will cost a lot).

Bottom line, don't expect solar to extend the season when the nights turn cold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
DIYliner said:
marolir said:
Hi everyone,

tkx,

The volume of pool water you are talking about takes a lot of energy to heat it. Houses and hot water systems require much less.

I would not expect you to be able to heat a 50F pool to get it much above 60F, unless you have a lot of solar panels (much more than I have, in a optimal angle to the sun with great sun and very warm days). When a pool gets down to 50F, the nights at that point (at least around here) are cold. My guess is the only way you will be able to heat a pool that is at 50F to say above 70F in your climate, will be a gas heater (and the gas required will cost a lot).

Bottom line, don't expect solar to extend the season when the nights turn cold.

Linen, what do you consider "the nights get cold"?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.