Closing Intex Pool for the Winter

mpacheco72 said:
I leave my pool up all winter. About five months out of the year we have around freezing temperatures. We drain the water down below the skimmer and return. Pop in our largest ride-on pool toys, adjust chemicals and cover it.

Thank you for your feedback. I live in northern Illinois it gets quit cold lots of snow some winters. I'm on my iPad at the moment does the regular website have what winter chemicals should be in it and ppm?

Subscribing....

In the same boat here. First summer with a 17' x 48" Summer Escapes and considering leaving it up. It's the type with the poles all round on the outside.

Here we get below 0 rarely - although 2 years ago we had a bad spell where it didn't break 10 degree F for 10 days. Killed lots of stuff :) Same with snow - typically 2-4 inches that lasts a day, but I've measured 19" in my yard before. Rare....

All that said, my current plan is to maintain the water till it drops below about 60F, then take it to shock level, drop the water below the inlet/outlets, throw in some kind of pillow and cover it. Seems to me the bigger the pillow the better!

Thoughts?

I am doing the same and leaving mine up for the winter. We get below 0 temps thru the winter but I left the last one up for 4 years, no problems until this year (March)when we had a thaw, freeze, thaw, and refreeze, then the side burst. However during the freeze/thaws we had lots of rain and the water went too high. I am taking my water below the skimmer and water lines, cleaning and putting in the winterization kit for a 10000 gal pool. Mine is 8000 so will adjust as prorated. I also have the pillow and the pool man said only blow up 1/2 way to allow for expansion of ice and water. I also use my blow up toys under the cover. LOL
I bought the winterization kit at the pool store because it was handy and everything comes as one. No shopping around.

My question is-------- I have a 1hp filter not the intex one. How to I winterize that besides draining all the water from it and then covering in plastic?

First year with this filter. It is a hayward.

connie said:
I am doing the same and leaving mine up for the winter. We get below 0 temps thru the winter but I left the last one up for 4 years, no problems until this year (March)when we had a thaw, freeze, thaw, and refreeze, then the side burst. However during the freeze/thaws we had lots of rain and the water went too high. I am taking my water below the skimmer and water lines, cleaning and putting in the winterization kit for a 10000 gal pool. Mine is 8000 so will adjust as prorated. I also have the pillow and the pool man said only blow up 1/2 way to allow for expansion of ice and water. I also use my blow up toys under the cover. LOL
I bought the winterization kit at the pool store because it was handy and everything comes as one. No shopping around.

My question is-------- I have a 1hp filter not the intex one. How to I winterize that besides draining all the water from it and then covering in plastic?

First year with this filter. It is a hayward.

That's unfortunate that you had a liner burst one winter. Water should go up, not out. However, I suppose that if there was too large a column of ice at the top, that the weight bearing down on it would force it to push out on the liner. So in that way, it would make sense.
This is likely why it is recommended to do a partial drain of the pool for winter.
I presume you aren't speaking of the type of pool I have, but instead a hexagonal sided AGP with rigid side supports of some sort, correct?

I would suggest returning your winterization kit, as they usually contain a bunch of junk you don't need. All you need is bleach to bring it up to shock before closing and some Polyquat60 based algaecide if you'd like some extra insurance.
Nothing more or less.
See the article on closing your pool under the link in my sig for Pool School.

If you don't cover your pool, you'll still have to run the pump and maintain it, just as you would during the summer, just less chemicals and pump runtime. As I understand it, you really only run the pump when it's going to be freezing conditions, that way you keep the water flowing and avoid bursting pipes or destroyed equipment.

The pillow shouldn't be an issue, since you are doing a partial drain, the water and ice will push up around the pillow, less from underneath, but slightly. You still want there to be a tent, enough that water & ice/snow melt can run off the cover and not collect.

If you are covering the pool and your pump/filter is movable, disconnect it and bring it inside. If not, cover it up to protect it from the elements. If it gets super cold there, you might consider insulating the pump and any other electromechanical parts so they don't get damaged by the extreme temperature drops. I don't know if this is something that is recommended here, I have never seen it, but that doesn't mean it isn't. However, it is something that I would do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.