Cloudy water and sediment with Zeosand

Aug 25, 2012
I have been using zeosand for about 4 years. This year I am getting green sediment on the floor of the pool. Initially thought it was pollen, then dirt, then zeosand from the filter but it was too small to be zeosand. It will vacuum up but it returns the next day. Vac to waste does the same thing. Reading these posts it seems that it must be zeosand broken down into dust??? I just put in some floc to see if I can get it to coagulate and vac it up. Has anyone ever had this problem after a few years of perfect performance of the zeo? What kind of maintenance is required of zeosand? I see some stuff in the pool stores for zeosand cleaning/regeneration, but never used any. Any info would be appreciated.

Mark

Welcome to the forum. :lol: My guess is it's dead algae but that is simply a guess. It is almost impossible to guess the issues with a pool but if you can post a full set of current test results, we can all help.

FAC=4
Ph= 7.6
TA= 80
CYA=40
Calcium Hardness=200
No Copper/No Iron

The Ph level is coming down from a high of 10+ since last week. I don't think it's algae. I think the zeo is breaking down into small dustlike particles.?? Has anyone ever heard of this? I use Pool Perfect w/phos free once a week, have a heat pump installed (haven't turned it on in a month), and use a chlorinator. I shock with Leslies power powder pro. Haven't had any trouble with chemistry all year. The floc had no effect whatsoever.

I think the reference to who is testing is the pH of 10+.....that's a VERY abnormal number and beyond the reach of most pool tests.

You may be correct about the zeo stuff. Anecdotal reports here on the forum indicate some of it is good and some of poor quality and I do seem to remember the poor quality manifests itself in particles being put back into the pool.

That said, you have put a lot of stuff in your pool that you really don't need but it seems to be working for you. Nothing in your current chemistry suggests a real problem so I am prone to believe your suspicion of zeo is correct.

Sorry, the 10+ ph was supposed to read Chlorine, not Ph. I do the testing normally, but the numbers I posted just now was from Leslies. I just purchased some new zeosand and am going to try to change it tomorrow. I think it is going to take care of the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.