Cartridge Filter

Aug 20, 2012
Will this type of Filter (which I believe is a micron filter) collect algae and hold it on the pleats. I have what appears to be light brown or mustard algae on the bottom of my pool which I think is dead algae. It does not lay a film on the bottom but collects in the wrinkles of the vinyl in bits and pieces. When stirred, it disappears. I attached a homemade vacumn to the suction side of my pump to collect it but I wonder if all i am doing is recirculating it. I also syphoned some of this into a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit in the sun for a few hours and checked it later. I could not see any of this material; just dirt. Your opinon please?

All three types of filters are capable of catching dead algae particles. It is possible you are continuing to see them because you have not killed all the algae so they reappear each day.

If you will post a full set of test results we can help further with the possible algae but the filter should not be the cause of visible debris in the pool if you are operating it properly.

These are my test results:

FC - 2 ppm in the evening, then I dose to 6 ppm in the evening, using the calculator.
CC - .5 ppm.
Cya - 40 ppm.
Alk - 130 ppm.
pH - 7.5
Temperature - 83 degrees F.

I have a 14 foot diameter Intex pool with a 750 gph pump and an add on pump of 1000 gph.
Capacity of pool rated at 2,400 gallons.
I will take a guess and believe I still have some residual algae. But as the season is winding down, I'll just pump it out. Next year, I will have a much bigger pool of about 28 foot long X 14 or 16 foot wide. I am new to pools this season but have learned much by reading "Pool School" and will be ready for next season then I was this season.

The Intex filters are poorly designed for dead algae removal. Some people have used "slime bags" on the returns and/or skimmer socks to improve the filtration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.