Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can you tell when the water is sanitized?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can you tell when the water is sanitized?

OK, I hate to even ask this question, but I'm at the tail end of the shocking process, and somebody REALLY wants to use the pool with some friends and their kids tomorrow. I can now see the bottom of the pool in the deep end, and CC is typically zero or near zero in my testing. I'm going to do the overnight test tonight to see how much FC levels drop, but in the event they drop too much indicating that I'm not done shocking yet, I just have to ask the question:

How can you tell if the water is sanitized and thus "safe" to swim in? Even if pH levels are out of whack and it burns, that's OK for this single event.

Like I said, I hate to ask, but this is probably the last time of this swimming season that this group of people can get together, so it would be nice to use it. As long as no one will get sick from bacteria, potential burning eyes and dissolved bathing suits are acceptable! I will issue just such a warning to all bathers!

Thanks again. This place is awesome!

-Dave
    ~30,000 gallon 35' x 15' in ground plaster (1975) * 6 hour turnover time (85 gpm) * Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1 HP pump P6E6E-206L * Pentair Clean & Clear Plus CCP 420 cartridge filter (150 gpm) * Polaris 280 F5 cleaner + PB4 booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can you tell when the water is sanitized?

People swim in dirty rivers all the time
    Its never bothered me to jump in a pool that is not "perfect"...I've never experienced any burning by swimming in my pool
    My wife prefers to wait........
    30 yr old 16x32' IG pool, ~16,600g, Hayward DE 4820 filter w/1.5hp pump, Solar heat

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as the FC is below your shock level and you can see the bottom and your CC are low, it should be safe. The FC in the pool will still be working to kill any nasties they bring into the pool with them.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Great, thanks a lot guys! Someone will be very happy to hear this!

-Dave
    ~30,000 gallon 35' x 15' in ground plaster (1975) * 6 hour turnover time (85 gpm) * Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1 HP pump P6E6E-206L * Pentair Clean & Clear Plus CCP 420 cartridge filter (150 gpm) * Polaris 280 F5 cleaner + PB4 booster pump