LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Atlanta Aquarium ...my wife and I took our 5yr old son the the Aquarium and did the extra behind the seens tour of the largest aquarium at 6,300,000 gal of water...its huge..I made a coment to the guide on the tour that the water is unbelievably crystal clear and ALMOST as clear/sparkly as my pool :) he then turned the topic to the pumping and filtration of the huge fish bowl and said it gets turned over once every hour ...thats like 105k GPM..who would have thought! !! I would have loved to see that pumping station...but anyhow..thats like turning ove my pool 5 TIMES a minute ....pretty darn impressive huh....

That's stinking AMAZING!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I sure would have loved to see the pumping station myself too, probably looks like the engine room of a ship!! SHEEESH!!

Are you able to get a feel for the sheer massiveness of the aquarium, or is there really no place where you can stand and see most of it at once, maybe overlooking it, or see to the other end?

Got pictures for those of us that can't visit?

y_not said:
That's stinking AMAZING!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I sure would have loved to see the pumping station myself too, probably looks like the engine room of a ship!! SHEEESH!!

Are you able to get a feel for the sheer massiveness of the aquarium, or is there really no place where you can stand and see most of it at once, maybe overlooking it, or see to the other end?

Got pictures for those of us that can't visit?

Sure do have pics...gotta wait till i unpack my laptop to post them though...a little tricky from my phone..but yeah have a few pics from standing on top of it..sort of like pool side except this pool is the size of a football field minus the endzones ....i

Not many people do this small 20min extra tour but for the extra $14 bucks a ticket it was well worth it to see this huge aquarium from the trainers/employees side of it..(still wish the did a pump/filter room tour)

The pool goes to the right about another 50 ft from where I'm standing...
2012-08-24_10-42-22_318.jpg

2012-08-24_10-43-23_761.jpg

Huge Whale Shark..

2012-08-24_10-43-14_804.jpg

2012-08-24_10-43-08_397.jpg

2012-08-24_10-44-31_87.jpg

8ft wide manta-ray....
2012-08-24_10-44-23_118.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.