Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some serious GPM pumping at the...

1. Back To Top    #1

Some serious GPM pumping at the...

Atlanta Aquarium ...my wife and I took our 5yr old son the the Aquarium and did the extra behind the seens tour of the largest aquarium at 6,300,000 gal of water...its huge..I made a coment to the guide on the tour that the water is unbelievably crystal clear and ALMOST as clear/sparkly as my pool he then turned the topic to the pumping and filtration of the huge fish bowl and said it gets turned over once every hour ...thats like 105k GPM..who would have thought! !! I would have loved to see that pumping station...but anyhow..thats like turning ove my pool 5 TIMES a minute ....pretty darn impressive huh....
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Some serious GPM pumping at the...

That's stinking AMAZING!!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Yeah, I sure would have loved to see the pumping station myself too, probably looks like the engine room of a ship!! SHEEESH!!

Are you able to get a feel for the sheer massiveness of the aquarium, or is there really no place where you can stand and see most of it at once, maybe overlooking it, or see to the other end?

Got pictures for those of us that can't visit?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    That's stinking AMAZING!!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Yeah, I sure would have loved to see the pumping station myself too, probably looks like the engine room of a ship!! SHEEESH!!

Are you able to get a feel for the sheer massiveness of the aquarium, or is there really no place where you can stand and see most of it at once, maybe overlooking it, or see to the other end?

Got pictures for those of us that can't visit?
    Sure do have pics...gotta wait till i unpack my laptop to post them though...a little tricky from my phone..but yeah have a few pics from standing on top of it..sort of like pool side except this pool is the size of a football field minus the endzones ....i
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)

4. Back To Top    #4

CWAAAZZYYY!!! Can't wait to see them.

Is it a natural ecosystem that they have created?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Not many people do this small 20min extra tour but for the extra $14 bucks a ticket it was well worth it to see this huge aquarium from the trainers/employees side of it..(still wish the did a pump/filter room tour)

The pool goes to the right about another 50 ft from where I'm standing...

Huge Whale Shark..

8ft wide manta-ray....