Is there a way to calculate CYA includes with dichlor?

mgianzero

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Southern California
Pool Size
I've seen a lot of postings about concerns about too high CYA levels when using chlorine products. I seem to have the opposite problem.

I have a SWG and often times my CYA always tends to drift downwards thru the course of the year (more so in summer). So I find I need to add more conditioner. But I find conditioner to be expensive. Also, I also like to shock my pool with dichlor, as it raises my chlorine level quickly, dissolves fast, and also bumps my CYA. So how can I calculate how high my CYA level will rise with dichlor? I don't really see any mention of how to calculate this anywhere.

Marc

Reactions: simon SPRAGG
look at the bottom of the poolcalculator. It will tell you effects of adding chemicals to your pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

How come you are losing CYA throughout the year?
Excessive backwashing, splashout, leak? Ammonia producing algae?

CYA doesn't evaporate with the water, it's just like salt, it stays behind.
It's normal to lose some, or even all of it over the winter if you get bacteria or algae in there that eats it, and you loose a little from normal splashing and backwashing.

But you shouldn't be losing a whole lot, just a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.