OK, here it the deal:
My CYA is 75 - I'd like to keep that from rising any further and would like to slower start getting it down.
But I recently invested (not knowing any better) $130 in 50lbs of InTheSwim stabilized 3" Tri-Chlor tablets, and put $70+ into fixing up the automatic chlorinator that I inherited with the pool. So i really don't want to just chuck $200 worth of stuff out the window, plus go spend the $ and go through the hassle of removing and replacing the fittings/plumbing where the chlorinator lines branch in/out, unless I just absolutely can't avoid it.
So are some questions:
1) HTH has an unstabilized tab that is like 53% Ca-Hypo - anyone out there have any opinions on those? Anyone know of any "side effects" they create?
2) If those HTH tabs don't normally lead to "other issues", would I be risking a big KABOOM if I used 2 of the HTH tabs with 1 of the Tri-Chlor tabs? Goal here is to not totally waste the Tri-chlor tabs, but use them up slowly and try to keep a better handle on the CYA.
3) If the HTH tabs don't normally lead to "other issues", could I use them one week, and use the Tri-Chlor tabs the following week, so they aren't all sitting in the chlorinator canister together?
4) Just remembered the HTH unstabilized tabs are labeled as "Skimmer Tablets"...can I use them in a chlorinator?
5) Should I just keep using the chlorinator & stabilized TriChlor tabs (and make sure I keep my FC high enough to not get algae again) until I learn what the **** I"m doing (since I've now owned a pool for a total of 6 WEEKS) and figure out a new chlorine feeder system once I'm experienced enough to actually make sound decisions (which I have consistently failed to do so far during these first 6 weeks).