Hot Tub Buying Guide

twodogs02

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2012
Spent the last two hours searching and browsing posts for a hot tub buyer's guide. We are in the market but I feel really vulnerable talking to these dealers as I don't know what to look for as far as build quality, number of pumps vs jets, ozone vs SWG, size of heater relative to capacity. I spent one hour at the state fair yesterday with the owner of Life's Great, he pulled apart the panels, we crawled in, sat in and he talked about why his tubs are better. One thing I did like was their tubs have a three inch layer of plastic at the bottom so a firm pad is not necessary making placement anywhere possible.

Is there something like pool school but for hot tubs?

Thanks,
James

All the chemistry is the same. There is an article in Pool School about one method to maintain temporary pools/ hot tubs and a few stickies in this thread about chlorine and bromine use.

There is no real article about the hot tub options and equipment etc as far as I know.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

:wave:

I too would be interested in sources of information for first-time hot tub buyers. Our pool is truly Troublefree because of the generous folks on this site. Now I am considering adding a spa to the patio for year-round use. I am shocked at the choices and especially the prices. Some plastic, a pump, a controller, for $8,000? Why? As a luxury item I suppose there is an enormous markup. There are some lower priced units that look nice but it turns out that they are Chinese and to be avoided? So we are in the same boat (tub?) as twodogs02, looking for hot tub buying advice/info.

twodogs02 said:
One thing I did like was their tubs have a three inch layer of plastic at the bottom so a firm pad is not necessary making placement anywhere possible.

I disagree. How is a layer of plastic going to ensure a tub with water that weighs thousands of pounds doesnt settle unevenly? I believe there are no shortcuts to a solid foundation or a well compacted base.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.