Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: question on algacide....

1. Back To Top    #1

question on algacide....

Hello,

ok, I am a first year pool owner in may 2012. All summer I have been fighting boatmen and backswimmer bugs. I have spent much time on here and have used the wonderful advice and now have my pool water wonderful. However, from the very beginning I was told that if you have boatmen it is because there is algae somewhere. get rid of algae (even nacent) and you get rid of boatmen. But other tell me that is not true that they have had boatmen while they were shocking.
    So I shocked (bleach) and everything looked great. I have maintained a 6-7 FC for a few months now and water looks great. However, the boatmen still appear one or two a day. i get them with the net and kill them and move on. I am just curious. Since my good FC levels are still not detering them is it time now to use the biogaurd all 60 algae preventer. I have wanted to stay away from uneeded chemicals since joining this forum, however, I am tired of fighting the few bugs everyday. Normally, no biggie, but my wife and son have both been bit and they say it hurts.
    Another interesting thing I am noticing is that those with darker colored pools seem to be the ones with issues as the bugs are possibly drawn to the color as they are a pond/creek type bug.

So would you start to use algacide now or not?

Thanks,
    IG, Gunitie/Plaster (darker blue "lagoon" color), Jandy 1400 SWG (with inline chlorinator option), Jandy AquaLink System w/ 2 HP pump motor, 20,000-23,000 gals, spillway from spa to pool runs when pump is on, waterfall feature and bubbler on tanning ledge, pool is in full sun all day (Dallas Texas), Polaris automatic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: question on algacide....

I would try borates before I tried algaecide.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I would try borates before I tried algaecide.
    Here's something weird. I hadn't seen a Boatman or Backswimmer in the pool for years until a week after I added Borates last year. I was surprised to see two Backswimmers swimming merry as you please in my freshly borated pool. I hate those things. I know the theory about surface tension and how it short circuits their attached air bubble but these two mutants must not have gotten the memo.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I can't imagine algaecide having any affect. The bugs in my water all seem to get very scarce when I keep adequate chlorine and a clear pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

One followup then.....we had rain last week for what seemed to be the first time in a month...nothing new in texas right, but me being a new pool owner, i don't know the affect of rain on my water...please help me....i was carrying a 6-7 FC for ever as stated above well right after i posted this i tested my water and it was a shocking 3-3.5 with my SWG set the same. After reading about rain affects on pool chemistry....could the rain be why my FC dropped to 3-3.5 from 6-7 and has seemed to stay there? I am at a loss, certainly my SWG is not going bad three months old (i hope). Can someone help me out? Thanks....that may be why the boatmen re-appeared.

PS...it is raining today and expected for tomorrow as well then back to upper 90s and sunny rest of week. Should i shock after the rain?
    IG, Gunitie/Plaster (darker blue "lagoon" color), Jandy 1400 SWG (with inline chlorinator option), Jandy AquaLink System w/ 2 HP pump motor, 20,000-23,000 gals, spillway from spa to pool runs when pump is on, waterfall feature and bubbler on tanning ledge, pool is in full sun all day (Dallas Texas), Polaris automatic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Being a first yr pool guy as well, what the hec are "Boatman or Backswimmer) s
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.

7. Back To Top    #7

Boatmen/backswimmers-oval shaped bugs with little "arms" that are very aggressive and bite!

We get two or three a week. Catch with net and kill or give to cat to play with!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

LOL, thanks, we get the bees, they love the water and think we are playing with them when we spray them or otherwise shew them away
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.