Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover and pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover and pH

I'm just wondering if it's possible for a solar cover to lower pH. I ask because my pH always drifts up due to my SWG and slightly high TA (currently 130), but for the past 2 weeks I've had my solar cover on because it's been a bit cooler, and I have not needed to add any acid since I put the cover on. I usually have to add acid 1 or 2 times per week. But since I put the solar cover on, my pH has actually been decreasing very slowly. Does the cover somehow lower pH? I'm not concerned at all. I don't think this is anything to worry about. I'll just add some borax if it continues to drop. I'm just curious.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover and pH

The cover significantly slows down the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing from the pool so that slows down the rate of pH rise. It usually won't cause the pH to drop, but it can slow down nearly stop its rise.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I experience the same, but my TA is in the 60-70 area. Uncovered, the pool hovers around 7.6 and if covered for more than three days, it tests in the 7.2-7.4 range. Almost like clockwork. I can't explain it, but have grown to expect it. As soon as the pool is uncovered for more than a day, it's back up to 7.6.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine does it too. We try to keep the pool toasty well into September - with the solar cover on except to swim, the ph drops from 7.6 and stabilizes at 7.2.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. Guess my hunch was correct. I was just a little confused because I haven't needed to add acid in a couple of weeks. I'm certainly not complaining though
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG