Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety Cover Cost

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety Cover Cost

I received a quote for a new safety cover from Raynor for $4,229 for their basic safety mesh cover. The quote is for a 28 X 40 free-form cover. Does this seem in line?

Background,
    This is my first year with a pool. Apparently a few deer fall through it a few years back. I knew about the need for a new cover when we bought the house, but wasn’t expecting it to be quite this expensive.
    25k gallon, IG gunite, Plaster/Pebblesheen (new in August of 2014), Sta-Rite 300lbs sand filter, TF100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety Cover Cost

My 20X36 Grecian Loop-Loc mesh was $1200 seven years ago. I installed it myself.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

MT, do you still have the old cover, and was it one guaranteed for life? It's possible to send them back to mfg for repair, as I understand it.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman
    MT, do you still have the old cover, and was it one guaranteed for life? It's possible to send them back to mfg for repair, as I understand it.
    Raynor evaluated it for repair, but it was in pretty old and worn looking to begin with and I don't doubt it was too rotten to repair. Raynor has the cover. I sent it to them so they could use it as a template to make an exact duplicate. I want to reuse the existing anchor locations so I don't have any more holes in the concrete pool deck.

I'm just looking to see if their bid is within reason.
    25k gallon, IG gunite, Plaster/Pebblesheen (new in August of 2014), Sta-Rite 300lbs sand filter, TF100 Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool is fairly similar to yours, maybe slightly larger, and I am in shock at the price you were quoted. I have to replace mine as well and that is double what I was expecting. Hope someone can chime in.
    35k inground Plaster w/ attached spa, 2hp Pentair single speed pump, EasyTouch with Intellichlor, 48 Sqft DE filter, BBB managed

Need a heater!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If your dimensions (28 x 40) are reasonably accurate, the number you have been quoted seems about $600.00 high.

If Raynor made the cover originally, they shouldn't need the old one for a template. They should be able to produce a new cover that exactly matches the old cover (if they can locate the original specifications).

That said, did the price come through a dealer? I don't believe Raynor will sell a custom cover direct.

In addition, I've found that Raynor will adjust the finished price for a new cover, if they sold the original one.

There is a huge difference in price for an off the shelf cover with 5 foot strap spacing and a true custom free form with 3 foot strap spacing.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    If your dimensions (28 x 40) are reasonably accurate, the number you have been quoted seems about $600.00 high.

If Raynor made the cover originally, they shouldn't need the old one for a template. They should be able to produce a new cover that exactly matches the old cover (if they can locate the original specifications).

That said, did the price come through a dealer? I don't believe Raynor will sell a custom cover direct.

In addition, I've found that Raynor will adjust the finished price for a new cover, if they sold the original one.

There is a huge difference in price for an off the shelf cover with 5 foot strap spacing and a true custom free form with 3 foot strap spacing.
    I went through the local Leslie’s for store and they recommended I send it to Raynor since I had the original. They must be a Raynor dealer. I ended up paying $3,600 for the cover (20%) off the quote. That is more in line with what I was expecting.