Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump and Filter size?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump and Filter size?

We are reviewing a bid for a small gunite pool and I wanted to know if the pump and filter quoted would be adequate:
    25x13 freeform
    French gray plaster
    3.5 to 5.5 depths
    68 perimeter ft.
    12,000 gallons

Quoted equipment in question:
    Hayward Max Flow 3/4hp pump
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Filter 175sqft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump and Filter size?

The equipment is adequate though if you plan on using a suction side automatic cleaner it will limit your options. A lot of suction side cleaners won't run well on a 3/4 HP pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

Our recommendation for a cartridge filter on that size pool is at least 180 sqft ... so that filter is probably fine. With cartridge filters there is really no way to go too big ... just means you will have to clean it less often.

Also a 3/4HP pump should be fine since you appear to have no special water flow needs. You could consider a 2-speed pump to save even more on electricity ... although what type of cleaner are you going to use?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info so far.... I am unsure of what type of cleaner we will use or if one is included. The estimate is a little vague as of now. It was more of just a baseline after our first meeting. The builder did mention a Hayward Navigator as a $700 upgrade, but I donít know if there is a standard option included, or if there is no cleaner included at all.
    I have a meeting with the builder next week and I am starting to get my questions lined out to present to him. The filter and pump just stood out in the initial bid and I wanted to be able to have some talking points for the meeting.
    I explained to the builder that this build will go nowhere if I didnít have a detailed estimate and contract to review so I could make educated decisions. I will have a list to go over next week regarding everything down to pipe sizes after researching this site.

We had purchased a fiberglass pool and decided not to use it. We sold it before install and have now turned to gunite, so I have to revamp my whole plan of attack. I will start a new thread with the pics and limited specs that have been presented thus far for everyoneís review.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just keep your posts related to the pool build here so everything is in one place.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Just keep your posts related to the pool build here so everything is in one place.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Sorry, I was already typing the other post!!!! We can lock this if needed....