CYA = 90ppm, pool store says no problem???

twodogs02

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2012
Hi,

According to several pools stores in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, the legislature has restricted the sale of 12.5% Sodium Hypo to consumers. The pool store continues to sell my mother Trichloro or DiChloro in power form for shocking the pool since she has mustard algae. As of today her CYA = 94 so I called her local pool store to see if they sell Cal-Hypo or liquid (turns out I found liquid chlorine 11% at the local orange big box). While speaking to the owner of the pool store, I asked him what target levels of CYA do they recommend to their customers. His response was 50-90 due to the extreme heat and sun we have in Texas. I asked him at what point does CYA get so high that you recommend a partial drain and fill, his reply 120ppm.

I am not buying into this because I'm a faithful BBB practitioner although I do live in NY with very different weather than Texas. Anyone ever hear of pool stores recommending these CYA levels in states that have extreme heat, anyone run their southern pools this high? I'm telling mom she needs to be at 40-45 at the most, I run my pool at 30 ppm CYA.

Feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks !

Re: CYA Levels Recommended by Pool Store

Most pool store employees have no clue how CYA actually works. I'd stick with BBB standards and you'll have a much better result! :goodjob:

P.S.: Whatever you do don't try to use a combination of BBB and pool store techniques. Worst thing you can do for your pool is try to combine two different methods because then neither will work!

Well they are partially right, by the time you reach 120ppm, you will need to drain and refill.

There is no reason to need to be higher than 50ppm, and using our methods, you never have to drain the pool.

They claim the higher CYA values are fine so they can continue to sell the pucks.

Even if she can not find the 12.5%, they certainly have bleach in Texas ;)

twodogs02 said:
According to several pools stores in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, the legislature has restricted the sale of 12.5% Sodium Hypo to consumers.
According to the Hasa website there are two dealers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who sell Hasa chlorinating liquid (Hasa has a chlor-alkali production facility in Dallas):

A-Quality Pool Service
8001 Boulevard 26
76180-7155 -- North Richland
Phone: (817) 281-0781

Gohlke Pools
909 Dallas Drive
76205 -- Denton
Phone: (940) 384-7665

I called A-Quality Pool Service and they sell 4 gallons in a case for $20 (there's a $6 deposit for the case which you get back at the end of the season if you don't keep it). It's guaranteed 12.5% but they get it fresh every other day so it's more likely to be closer to 15%. At $5 per gallon, it's not cheap, but it's not a horrible deal either. It's between $3.50 and $4 for me locally in the San Francisco bay area. I also called Gohlke Pools and they also sell it by the case (4 gallons), $24.99 plus $6 deposit for the case. You could probably get bleach for a better price, but it's more weight to carry around, so up to you.

So go back to those pool stores and tell them that they should stop lying to their customers!

From what i understand CYA sits near the top of your pool so whenever you drain you never have to drain more than the top 2 feet. Is this correct?

As for CYA running from 50-90 in southern areas i can tell you that is mostly correct. CYA readings of about 30 in the south will not do anything for the most part because of the intense heat and humidity. (i have family living in TEXAS)

CYA does not sit at the top of the pool it is fully mixed within the water. There are other posts that discuss this.

And 50ppm is adequate for the most intense sun levels. Again, much science to back this up in other areas of the forums.

:cry: Dangit Jason!! I was in the middle of typing that! That's twice today too!! I'll just go ahead and second what Jason said. No reason to have CYA over 50 unless you have a salt system. Then you can go 70-80. AND CYA does not float near the top. Apparently I need to take a typing class so I can beat you to these Jason!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a pool owner in Texas, I can tell you that when I let my CYA get over 50 ppm, I began to have problems keeping the pool clear. When a pool store representative gives you suspect advice, ask them if they own a pool. If the answer is no, then they are parroting what they hear from sales reps and have no real world experiance to draw from.

twodogs02 said:
Hi,

According to several pools stores in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, the legislature has restricted the sale of 12.5% Sodium Hypo to consumers. The pool store continues to sell my mother Trichloro or DiChloro in power form for shocking the pool since she has mustard algae. As of today her CYA = 94 so I called her local pool store to see if they sell Cal-Hypo or liquid (turns out I found liquid chlorine 11% at the local orange big box). While speaking to the owner of the pool store, I asked him what target levels of CYA do they recommend to their customers. His response was 50-90 due to the extreme heat and sun we have in Texas. I asked him at what point does CYA get so high that you recommend a partial drain and fill, his reply 120ppm.

I am not buying into this because I'm a faithful BBB practitioner although I do live in NY with very different weather than Texas. Anyone ever hear of pool stores recommending these CYA levels in states that have extreme heat, anyone run their southern pools this high? I'm telling mom she needs to be at 40-45 at the most, I run my pool at 30 ppm CYA.

Feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks !

Im in texas, keep mine around 50 and lose about 2-3ppm per day due to the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.