Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying a used SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying a used SWG

Does this sound like a good deal and does it look like all I need to convert my above ground pool to a salt water chlorinator system.

Salt Chlorine Generator - sanitizes pool water using electrolysis to convert salt to chlorine. Pool water is never over chlorinated. Virtually eliminates need for chemicals. Gently used.
    Intex pool pump with extra filter, type A. Large assortment of miscellaneous pool fittings, vacuum heads, strainer baskets, hose clamps, etc. Underwater pool patch kit.
    1/4 bag of pool salt, partial container of 1-inch chlorine tablets. Container of water test strips.
    Assortment of hoses.
    All for $100
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15 x 30 oval above ground, 13000 gals, 1 HP pump, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

New Caney, Texas

Re: Buying a used SWG

Due to the discoloration of the housing I would say that's a well used Intex SWCG.

I would think your money would be better spent on a new unit.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

I think i'm with GeorgeN on this one. Most of the rest of the stuff that is listed with it is not worth much. Occasionally you can get the intex swg for close to $100 (end of season or combined with the intex sand filters).

One thought though...that looks like the older model intex without the copper stage. For the most part that is a good thing, no copper and the swg cell itself has twice the output of the newer cells. The only drawback is that system does not have non-volatile memory, so if you loose power it will reset back to the defaults (the newer units do not do this).

It may be worth asking the seller how much they used the swg and if they had any problems. If it has seen more than 1 season, or if you hear they were "always fighting" algae, I would walk away. If that stuff sounds good, maybe the seller would be willing to sell just the swg only for cheaper.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah...I'm with everyone's comments here. I have the same exact SWG with a spare sitting in my garage. Ours is now on it's 4th season and is in direct sunlight for 6+ hours a day and is not that discolored, but I will say I do rinse mine down with bleach every so often . Again my season is rather short, only 4-5mo's/yr and we maintain near perfect water balance).

I love ours, especially since it does not have the copper ionization feature, but I will say I only paid $129 for my spare, brand new. IMO that swg is worth $50 at best. They stopped making that model in 2009 or 2010.

The unit is certainly no-frills, meaning you can not rely on it to autostart every day. It generally will, but it the power flicks on/off as it often can in the summer, you'll end up w/ green pool quick. I check the pool every day, so this does not bother me.

It may still have life left in it, but how much would be just a guess.

Good luck
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator