Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Piping using Polypropylene (PPR) pipes....

1. Back To Top    #1

Piping using Polypropylene (PPR) pipes....

hi guys. just wondering if anyone used other pipes like those heat-fused type pipes like polypropylene (PPR). the reason i'm asking is because we're building a pool but the pool room is in the basement of a large hi-end home. the complication lies with the fact that the structure of the house and the pool is independent of each other so some movement is expected. if i use the common pvc pipe i'm afraid that it might not be flexible and durable enough to hold up to movements. because the pipes will run between the walls of the basement and the pool it's critical that we don't develop a leak there..... else that will mean a huge amount of work that will cost quite a bit, something i would rather not happen in the first place. flexible piping came to mind but after some research it's vulnerable to termites which is a huge issue for us here.

any ideas?
    Outdoor (60% shaded) 22,000 gals: Mosaic tiles (concrete grout), 011018 IntelliFlo VS, Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter CCP320 filter, IntelliBrite 5g LED, Prozone PZ2-4V, Blue Devil 8way Tester, Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tester K-1515A (you need this period—OTO is pretty much useless)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Piping using Polypropylene (PPR) pipes....

There is flexible PVC pipe. I would think that using rigid in the house and to the outside and then from the pool pad to the house and then having a section of the flexible PVC near the house might work. Or is that what you had read is susceptible to termites?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

that's what i was thinking but the flexible is supposedly susceptible to termite attacks. if it's exposed to the ground then it's vulnerable.
    Outdoor (60% shaded) 22,000 gals: Mosaic tiles (concrete grout), 011018 IntelliFlo VS, Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter CCP320 filter, IntelliBrite 5g LED, Prozone PZ2-4V, Blue Devil 8way Tester, Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Tester K-1515A (you need this period—OTO is pretty much useless)

4. Back To Top    #4

One thing that can be done is to install an expansion joint in the PVC line. This is nothing more than 2-90's and 1-"U" bend. In the main line install a 90 and about 3' of straight pipe, then the "U" and an equal length of straight pipe to come back inline with the main run then the second 90.

The expansion joint will allow movement in both horizontal and vertical planes and is a very common piping arrangement (in steel and PVC) where movement is expected.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks stev32k. it's basically like a kink built right in right?

we're exploring the idea of just bringing the pump & filter outside instead. myb at the end of the lap pool and have a cover like a deck for it.