Air bubbles in the return lines

dave18

Aug 10, 2012
Sacramento, CA
So I've got air bubbles coming out of the return lines into the pool. When I start the pump, I leave the air vent on the filter open until water comes out, and then I close it (I learned that on this site). Everything looks great, and then about 10-15 minutes later, I've got quite a few air bubbles coming out of both return lines (and the booster pump return as well).

So air is getting in there somehow. I have identified a leak in the above ground plumbing right before the pump input. But it only leaks when water flows in the opposite direction, right after shutting the pump off. Could that introduce enough air to make it through the pump and filter and to the return lines? Or do the air bubbles mean there is a leak after the pump?

Also, can air like this contribute to cloudy water? I wouldn't think so, but since I'm in the middle of a pool shock right now, I'd hate to be wrong and be waiting for something that is never going to happen.

Thanks for any suggestions or further references. I didn't even know that was a problem until I started reading this site! :)

-Dave

Usually air entering the plumbing while running is due to the suction side. If you see water coming out of the plumbing when you shut the pump of, that could certainly be where the air is getting sucked in.

Do you see air in the pump?
When the air is entering the pool and you open the filter air valve again does more air come out?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
If you see water coming out of the plumbing when you shut the pump of, that could certainly be where the air is getting sucked in.

OK, good to know. I'll definitely look into repairing that part of the plumbing.

jblizzle said:
Do you see air in the pump?

Are you talking about that little window area right before the impeller in the pump? If so, yeah, there are a whole bunch of air bubbles in there. What's it supposed to look like? Just straight water?

When I start the pump, I can see a tube of water pouring into the basket through the window. Then, it starts to form bubbles, or more like turbulent water, as if all the water can't be drawn through the impeller fast enough. I can take a picture if it will help. Once I find my card reader. We're still not completely moved in and I can't seem to find anything.

jblizzle said:
When the air is entering the pool and you open the filter air valve again does more air come out?

Whoa! Sweet trick! I opened it up and fully expected water to come out and all I got was air. For about 30-60 seconds before water started to come out and then I shut it off again. So that definitely tells me that air is being pushed in at/before the filter.

And if that air/turbulence at the pump is not supposed to be there, then it sounds like it enters before that as well. Which is exactly where that dang plumbing leak is. But it only leaks when the water runs in reverse.

Wow, thanks for the help. When I get a chance to tear up my plumbing, I'll post back with the results. And let me know if I have missed anything. I know there is some plumbing underground, but hopefully that's not causing any problems.

Thanks again! :)

-Dave

You should not see any air in the pump. So you definitely have an air leak on the suction side of the pump. Either in the plumbing or the pump lid gasket or drain plug.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I had that happen to me not long ago. A white stream of water coming out of the returns and bubbles rising to the surface.
I found the skimmer basket ajar. That corrected it.
I have no idea why it caused that. It was not sending any air to the pump that I could see. The basket was still under water tilted to one side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.