Question about remotes for Hayward/Goldline Pro-Logic

VinceL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2012
Newton, NC
Our pool installation is moving ahead pretty well. They got the RF receiver installed in the Pro-Logic cabinet today. The PB includes an Aqua Pod remote when you get a Pro-Logic system. I "paired" (Hayward calls it something else, but I think of it as being similar to Bluetooth pairing) the Aqua Pod with the Pro-Logic and played around a bit (mostly with the LED lights in the pool).

I noticed that the Pro-Logic's response to the Aqua Pod is rather slow (whether I am 10 feet from the equipment pad or 75 feet away). Once you press a button, you cannot press another button for a couple of seconds. The way my pool lights work (PAL Treo's), I have to quickly turn the lights off and back on to switch through the various lighting modes. I can switch fast enough at the Pro-Logic panel, but the Aqua Pod just can't turn the lights off and then on fast enough.

I am wondering if the Hayward Wireless Tabletop (or Wall Mount) remotes allow faster commands. Is the Pro-Logic RF receiver the bottleneck or is the Aqua Pod just slow? The Wireless remote for the Pro-Logic PS-8 is about 6 times as expensive as an Aqua Pod. For that kind of money I would expect response comparable to the Pro-Logic panel itself.

I will be calling Hayward with my question, but I am skeptical about getting a straight answer. So, I am hoping someone on TFP has the Pro-Logic Wireless remote and can give me an unbiased answer.

Thanks.

I am not sure this is helpful but I have the AquaLogic center with wireless remotes and both (spa and table top) seem to operate at about the same speed and it is usually instantaneous. However, if the remote is far from the control center, there can be a delay getting a response back and sometimes a communication error.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

I got a reply back from Hayward. As I suspected, totally useless. The person just gave me standard boilerplate about how to do the Teach Wireless stuff.

Could I ask if you have any equipment where you have to do 2 quick button presses? When I use the Aqua Pod, response to the first button press is quick. But, it appears that it won't respond to another button press until it refreshes all the data from the Pro-Logic. So, there is a relatively long wait (>2 seconds) before I can send the second command.

As a retired IT guy, I can think of a few possible reasons for this behavior. I'm wondering if the software in the PS-8 Desktop/Wallmount remote handles refreshes better than the Aqua Pod.

Thanks.

The pool lights require a quick on off in order to setup the sequence and both controllers seem to work fine when doing that. I don't have the Aqua Pod so I can't comment on that but I do have the spa wireless remote which I don't think they sell anymore. It looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldline-AquaLo ... 19d3359d97

Thanks for the replies.

Last night I went out by the pool with the AquaPod (only about 20 feet from the Pro-Logic panel) and tried switching light modes with the off-on sequence of button presses. I was able to get it to work sometimes. It seems that in order to get the quick succession of off-then-on, you have to get the timing just right between the two presses. If you are a little too quick or a little too slow, it doesn't work.

So, I guess I need to do some practicing. :hammer:

I purchased the PS-8 wireless desktop remote

goldline_wireless.gif

This remote feels just like the main control panel. Other than the delay with the startup screen when you first turn it on, it is very quick. Doing the on-off-on commands to change colors of the lights is a piece of cake with this remote.

I am very happy with this remote. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.