Sun Deck???

Aug 18, 2012
Hi all,

When we installed the pool, we had sundeck installed. We had to have some repairs done and now have some new concrete... how hard is it to replicate the sun deck? is it something a do it yourselfer can do??? anyone have any tips?

I assume you mean the textured "Kool" decking that is sprayed on concrete.

Not to burst your bubble, but when we had our deck done ... due to shear laziness as far as I can tell ... they only textured half of the deck one day and came back the next day to do the other half. The textures were COMPLETELY different. Not sure if it was different equipment or a different operator or a different mixture or what. They ended up having to re-coat all of it until I decided the textures were "close enough".

So, apparently matching the texture is difficult for those the should know what they are doing, and also the color fades over time, so that could be a problem as well.

from what i can tell, the sun deck is a lot thinner than kool deck. sundeck is non-pourous so that cracks are less of an issue. We also plan to recolor the entire deck so faiding shouldnt be an issue. Not sure of the undercoats.. but it looks like you take a loose morter-type mix and sprinkle it on the concrete, then smooth out with a flat trowel. I know it is probably much more complicated, but the pool contractors have dried up with the economy, and I cannot find anyone to do a small job.

Baloo

I was not home for the first phase of our Sundek install, only the color treatment. We had it applied to the new pool decking and to the existing covered patio (approx. 8 years old at the time) that the decking mates up to. Can't tell the difference between them, looks great.

From one contractor's Sundek FAQ page:

How is Sundek applied?

Part of it is sprayed on with an Acoustic Sprayer and part of it is troweled.

What does it look like?

It is a textured surface. The base coat, if necessary on old concrete, is installed as a smooth coat. After that is dry, a texture coat is sprayed out of an Acoustic Sprayer with material covering 70-80% of the base coat in small drops. These drops are then troweled smooth and are comfortable to walk on. A colored finish is then applied.

LINK: http://www.cardinalaquatechpools.com/p5sdfaq.htm#why

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.