I just went through my 2nd new liner install in less than a month. The first new liner had a hole in the seam and they had to replace it after less than 2 weeks.
They had me fill the pool halfway (took about 16 hours) and they came back sometime late in the afternoon the next day and cut the holes and stuff for the return and skimmer. It was evening before I could turn back on the water and finish filling (abut another 16 hours). That was last Thursday.
I then added enough cya to get to 40 (or so I thought). Added chlorine to the pool and checked all the other levels. I have been fighting something in the water all week. The water never turned green, but it would not hold chlorine at all. I braved the cold water (74 degrees...brrrr) and got in and brushed really good the other day (still no signs of visable algae). I have been following the shock process since Saturday and I think I've made a breakthrough. When I got home from work this morning, I had still lost about 3ppm overnight and my cc was 1, but there was a lot of fine white stuff laying on the pool floor. I'm assuming it was dead algae. I swept it all up, bumpedmy chlorine up past normal shock level and went to bed.
I got up this afternoon and retested all my levels. The chlorine had dropped from 20 to 11 but it has been warm and sunny all day, so I bumped it back up. It has been almost a week since I added my cya, so I tested it again. I was only getting a reading of barely 30. I added enough to get me back up to 40. I will perfrom another OCLT to see where I stand, but it seems to be finally holding now. The water is crystal clear and sparkily again.
My new levels are:
I guess what confused me was the water never was cloudy or green, but the TF-test showed something just wasn't right. So all I can say is believe in your results and follow the process, even if everything looks fine, because something was obviously lurking somewhere, even though it couldn't be seen.
I love this site and all the people who have helped me along the way. to you all!!