Newbie excited to learn

Aug 21, 2012
Hello to all! I have been reading the forum for a few days now after searching if I could use bleach as chlorine. I have decided to drink the Kool-Aid so to speak and dive right in. I do not have a testing kit yet so i just went and had the water tested at my local pool store. Let me know what you guys think I should do!

FC .07
TC .07
CC 0
pH 7.8
Hardness 872
TA 79
CYA 47
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 1800

They recommended adding 6.5 lbs of alkalinity up and 9 Trichlor tabs in the floater. I popped this info in the pool calculator and and added 192oz of bleach as i could see some small patches of green on the walls. The water is clear.

Ready, Set, GO!!!

Welcome to tfp, Texastrav75 :wave:

First, you need to get your own appropriate test kit, since pool store results tend to be unreliable and not often enough for effective pool maintenance. I suggest the tf-100, most bang for buck and fast shipping.

Texastrav75 said:
i could see some small patches of green on the walls.
Assuming that is algae, you need to do the shockng process, it is a process of holding your chlorine levels high until you pass the three criteria mentioned in the pool school article.

Also, mixing pool store recomendations with ours will not work. Both of the recommendations you got:
Texastrav75 said:
They recommended adding 6.5 lbs of alkalinity up and 9 Trichlor tabs in the floater.
...would not be our recommendations. Both are not what your pool needs, according to their tests.

Lastly, once you get rid of the algae, here is a pool school article that has our recommended levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

Let us know if you have questions.

Until I get the TF 100, should I use bleach to keep my chlorine levels up? I have been using buckets and buckets of granular shock and pile of pucks this past year and never seem to be able to keep chlorine in the pool. I'm sure my CH is gonna be crazy from all the cal hypo I've pumped in the water. Or should I just wait until I get the kit and start??? Thanks for all the help. I am pumped to learn this process!!!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Definitely stick to liquid chlorine and try to keep the FC around 5ppm if you can test that high. ASSUMING we trust those test results, your CYA in a good place and your CH (hardness) is WAY up there ... so no more solid chlorine.

When you get your kit, test your tap water for CH as well. The high CH is manageable by keeping close control of your pH, but replacing some of the water to lower it may not be a bad idea.

Not worth the money to replace the ozone in an outdoor pool. Just keep adequate FC levels based on your CYA.

You can probably leave it, but if it is easy to remove, I might go that route.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Hooray! I got my TF-100. Only problem was the CYA tube was cracked so it leaked and I couldn't get a CYA reading. Here are my results.....teach me oh wise ones!!

FC-0
CC-1.0
pH-7.5
TA-120
CH-880 (eff you pool store telling me to keep shocking)
CYA-???

Just so I know for sure, now I enter these in the pool calculator, right

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the meantime if the crack is only causing it to leak you could try clear packing tape over the crack as a way to get a reading until the tube is replaced.

I think some carefully placed duct tape or some grade school modeling clay may hold it well enough for you to get a test. Your replacement tube is packed and out for delivery to the Post Office this AM....sorry.

duraleigh said:
I think some carefully placed duct tape or some grade school modeling clay may hold it well enough for you to get a test. Your replacement tube is packed and out for delivery to the Post Office this AM....sorry.
Dave (duraleigh), you have got to do something about those elves! They might have been using that tube for tequila shots :shock:
Have you thought about unlocking the barn and giving them a day off? :mrgreen:

Texastrav75 said:
Hooray! I got my TF-100. Only problem was the CYA tube was cracked so it leaked and I couldn't get a CYA reading. Here are my results.....teach me oh wise ones!!

FC-0
CC-1.0
pH-7.5
TA-120
CH-880 (eff you pool store telling me to keep shocking)
CYA-???

Just so I know for sure, now I enter these in the pool calculator, right
Welcome to the forum :wave: I suggest you lower the pH to 7.2ish and keep it there until until the CH comes down.

We recommend about 30 minutes of pump/filter time between adding chems. So if you add muriatic acid to lower the pH, wait half an hour or so before you add bleach/liquid chlorine.

Hopefully you'll post the CYA test result soon :)

btw, you will love the BBB method.

duraleigh said:

The reason I suggested packing tape is that it is clear and I figured that anything opaque might skew the results - is that a non-issue?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.