Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To lower my TA or not? (I have a SWG)

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern California

To lower my TA or not? (I have a SWG)

The (SWG water balance article) recommends keeping TA at 60-80 (and says this is IMPORTANT). The article on (how to lower your TA) suggests that lowering your TA is only important in the following circumstances:
    • -because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises
      -if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling

So if my TA is around 90-110*, is it important to lower it? I'm guessing the reason for the recommendation is that high TA can lead to high pH which can get CSI out of whack and lead to scaling, which affects the SWG as well as my pool finish. I have an automatic pH system on my pool which works really well, so I don't get high pH.

Are there other things about SWG that would make them work better with lower TA? I don't want to go to the hassle of lowering it if I'm solving the situation through the acid feeder/pH system. But, if there are other reasons, then maybe it's worth it.

*90-110: I get different results from my test kit than when I take it to the pool store. I'm not sure who to believe.
    Southern California 30K gal Pebble Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed Hayward DE6020 filter
    Goldline Controls AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) with Sense & Dispense Total Chemistry (acid)
    Inter-Fab G-Force slide 4 Jandy deck jets 1 lion head spout Paramount Debris Canister Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Dolphin Premier Cleaner Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: To lower my TA or not? (I have a SWG)

High TA causes the pH to rise. SWG also cause the pH to rise. The lower TA will just slow down how quickly the pH rises.

If you are happy with your pH, then do not worry about the TA. The TA will lower a little every time you lower the pH with acid, so not really no need to focus on the TA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: To lower my TA or not? (I have a SWG)

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    *90-110: I get different results from my test kit than when I take it to the pool store. I'm not sure who to believe.
    Trust your results over the pool stores. Even if yours are slightly off, they should be much more consistent...and you will adjust as your pool demands it (i.e. high TA will require more frequent use of MA, therefore lowering the TA level over time).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.