Is there such a thing as a shock-free pool?

flipflop

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
After having our pool for 12 years and following the pool $tore method of maintenance, we switched to the BBB method in early July, just before the July 4th holiday. It was a minor crisis with chlorine levels just ahead of our annual Independence Day pool bash and learning here what CYA is and its relationship to chlorine that prompted the change.

Fast forward nearly two months and we couldn't be happier. The water is the crystal-clearest it's ever been and I've learned that our water "feels" best at low-normal pH levels (around 7.3-7.4). I can predict now approximately how much FC we'll lose during the day based on how hot and sunny it is and throw in an unmeasured amount of 12.5% to get it close to right. I still test somewhat obsessively but I'm pretty confident in managing things.

But here's the thing. Since going BBB, I've not had to shock the pool. Not once. We've had raucous parties with heavy bather loads and all manner of beer, wine and tropic drink getting spilled in the pool, our friend's dog swimming in it a couple of times, and still no need to shock. Every time we've had one of those parties or the dog in the pool, I do an OCLT and it's never more than 0.5 to 1.0ppm loss. No test has shown more than 0.5ppm of CC, and as I said earlier, the water is the clearest it's ever been.

So, my question...is it normal to not have to shock for this long? Should I worry about anything, or just shut up and be thankful?

Sounds perfectly normal :party:

If you are keeping your FC in the recommended range, you should never have to go through the shock process. Some people like to bump the FC up a couple ppm before and/or after a large party just to be sure the FC does not drop too much due to the bather load ... more precaution than anything.

Keep up the good work :goodjob:

The only times I have had to shock were when I first took over the pool and when I allowed FC to drop below the minimum. Most recently we had an ER visit disrupt routines and bleach was not added for two days... algae only suspected never confirmed but shocked it to be sure.

Congratulations... that means you have a good understanding of the chemistry involved in maintaining a properly sanitized pool and are following through on that understanding. You have control over your pool... it's a good thing! :D

Besides opening I haven't had to shock in three years. There have been times where I dropped below the minimum and a few of them have been a couple ppm below minimum. In those cases all I did was raise a few points above target and all was well.

The first two years of BBB I was still shell shocked from the previous years of hit and miss pool care. I would see green everywhere. OMG, is that green? Whew, it's just a reflection of the trees. Is that dirt or algae? I would add a few extra ppms of Chlorine and do the OCLT. Always passed. I soon came to the conclusion that if it was algae in my crystal clear water and it consumed 1 ppm or less overnight with no CCs, I was going to leave it alone and not make it mad. :)

Thanks for the replies. My wife's still trying to wrap her head around the idea that we don't have to shock every week or two ("No dear, there IS no shocking schedule, only triggers") and I try to get her to read pool school, but she's comfortable with me managing it when I'm home and following my recommendations when I'm traveling.

I'll often spike the calculated chlorine dose if I think we may miss a day due to travel or whatever and as a result it's never fallen below around 2ppm, so I guess that's key.

I opened our pool in July, bought an opening kit from the pool store that came with various chemicals, then shortly thereafter discovered this site. I've never had to shock and have a pile of unopened unused chemicals from the pool store that I may never need. In fact, other than the first day when I think I threw in some ph Down and maybe a bit of CYA (before I had any idea what I was doing) I've not added anything other than bleach and some pucks in a floater now and then. I do have a light bather load though.

Eventually something dead will be in the pool and you will shock, out of caution. Last time here was a baby squirrel that an owl had dropped after hitting the nest during the night. Bits of squirrel nesting in the waterfall and pool.

anonapersona said:
Eventually something dead will be in the pool and you will shock, out of caution. Last time here was a baby squirrel that an owl had dropped after hitting the nest during the night. Bits of squirrel nesting in the waterfall and pool.
Ick. Yeah, that would be enough to make me shock just to be sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't had to shock since start up - late April. Every time I go to pool store to buy polyquat, get more reagents or check my water they always say: "when was the last time you shocked?" They are astounded at my answer. "Not since start up." Then they follow up with: "what does your water look like?" Again, they are surprised when I say: "crystal clear".

Yes, it is that easy to maintain your pool.

Same here. I haven't shocked once since starting BBB and my water is by far the clearest it's ever been. I've only added chlorine as needed and MA about twice a week. Maybe a cup or so.
My neighbor thinks I'm nuts but he is always asking how I do it. I've tried to turn him onto BBB but he thinks the "experts" know better so he is sticking with them, shocking his pool twice a month and complaining about it at the same time.

Had to go through the shock process in the beginning (after new pool was filled and allowed to go stagnant for over a month waiting on PB to finish plumbing and hook up pump) Once it was cleared, it's been crystal clear ever since. I do have a SWCG which certainly helps. Funny side note, My PB recommends running the pump enough to turn the water over 3x a day! LOL, I find that 1 turn is plenty for us, even during our record heat wave this summer. I've also been told to shock once a week among other nonsense. Keeping it simple with BBB keeps it beautiful and easy to maintain. :party:

One thing we've done since day one (our pool was built in 2000 and opened in mid-July that year) is run our pump 24x7. I know, it's probably unnecessary wear and tear on the pump motor, but I like the constant skimming when our crepe myrtles are in bloom. If that means I repair or replace the pump more often I'm OK with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.