After having our pool for 12 years and following the pool $tore method of maintenance, we switched to the BBB method in early July, just before the July 4th holiday. It was a minor crisis with chlorine levels just ahead of our annual Independence Day pool bash and learning here what CYA is and its relationship to chlorine that prompted the change.
Fast forward nearly two months and we couldn't be happier. The water is the crystal-clearest it's ever been and I've learned that our water "feels" best at low-normal pH levels (around 7.3-7.4). I can predict now approximately how much FC we'll lose during the day based on how hot and sunny it is and throw in an unmeasured amount of 12.5% to get it close to right. I still test somewhat obsessively but I'm pretty confident in managing things.
But here's the thing. Since going BBB, I've not had to shock the pool. Not once. We've had raucous parties with heavy bather loads and all manner of beer, wine and tropic drink getting spilled in the pool, our friend's dog swimming in it a couple of times, and still no need to shock. Every time we've had one of those parties or the dog in the pool, I do an OCLT and it's never more than 0.5 to 1.0ppm loss. No test has shown more than 0.5ppm of CC, and as I said earlier, the water is the clearest it's ever been.
So, my question...is it normal to not have to shock for this long? Should I worry about anything, or just shut up and be thankful?