Another deciding between heat pump and NG heater

markw

Aug 22, 2012
Memphis
I have been lurking and learning for some time but finally registered to post on this phenomenal site. I have read through the posts on this matter but I am wrestling with discussions between my installer and I along with data I continue to collect. I am hoping for some real world experience based replies or technical thoughts here. I have a fairly standard 16X32 IG pool and a local installer has suggested either an ultra temp 120 heat pump for about 4300 installed, or a max-e-therm 400k btu natural gas heater for about 2900 plus whatever it takes to extend a gas line installed. Of course prior posts and the installer have pointed to the efficiency of the heat pump. My realities are 1) live in an area of exceptionally high humidity for much of the year (Memphis), 2) natural gas is about $1.08 per ccf or "therm"' and 3) electric is about 6.5 cents per kwh so hopefully I am correct in understanding that given 1 therm = 29.3 kwh the therm equivalent cost on the electric side is about $1.90.
I am going back and forth between up front cost difference of about 1000 more for the heat pump vs longer term efficiency and running costs. If there are others who have looked at this recently and come to a logical conclusion I would love to hear your thoughts.
Many thanks,
Mark

Are you looking to just extend the swimming season or are you looking to heat it up for say a weekend during the cooler months? If you are just wanting to extend your season a few months, then a heat pump would be the ay to go. If you are looking to heat it up for a weekend in the cooler months because of company coming in to visit, a gas heater is the way to do it. Either way you also need to invest in a solar blank to keep that heat in during the cooler months when you heat it. You also need to look all brands of heat pumps and gas heaters and make a decision.

Also keep in mind that a heat pump is going to struggle to heat your pool when it's cold out, 40's-50's. The heat pump relies on the outside temps to help create the heat.

This calculator seems to show that the heat pump will cost less.

What I see plugging your $1.08 per Therm and $0.065 per KW/h is that the cost per 100K BTU equivalent for an 85% efficient gas furnace (assuming this is how efficient it is) is $1.27 and the same 100K BTU using the heat pump would be $0.87. It's unclear if there is an assumed heat pump efficiency and what it is in the calculator.

I also found this link if you want to just tinker with your math and be sure you did it right:
Found this: http://www.midwestrec.com/myHome/electricVsGas.aspx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.