Help! Can't seem to clear the water!

I started the battle with algae about 3 weeks ago. There had been no cover on the pool for winter, which will NEVER happen again! Anyway, after a week of fighting with the algae, I finally got rid of it. My water samples look clear and all my numbers look good, but I can't seem to see the bottom of my pool. My kids are dying to get in for the first time and they want to know whats taking me so long to get it cleared up. The pump has been running 24/7. Should I just keep filtering the water and it will eventually clear? Or should I try a little clarifier to floc it together? No sure what to try next. Any help would be great!

16x32, vinyl liner, cartridge filter

Reinforcing what poolidiot posted, without a set of test results, it's impossible to give you rock solid advice.

I would suggest that clarifier or floc may help but that's not your problem.

My guess (and remember, it's only a guess) is that chlorine will clear your pool....quickly and cheaply.

post up those numbers and we'll get you started.

Ok, let's get that pool cleared up!! Your numbers are a little mislabeled but they're ok for now. You still have algae...very little doubt.

Chlorine is the answer and lot's of it.

I'd suggest using JasonLion's calculator in his signature for your pool....it's really almost mandatory.

So, head to the grocery store (or Sam's Club, Costco, etc) and get the best deal on 6% bleach you can find. I would suggest you get about 20-30 gallons....Yikes! :lol: Yep, 20-30 gallons...not jugs.

Secondly, while you're at the store, pick up a 4 lb box of 20 Mule Team Borax...it's in the laundry section

Next put enough clorox in your pool to bring the FC up to about 25ppm (use the calculator)

Then, add enough Borax to bring your pH up to 7.2...use Jason's calculator.

About 4-6 hours after that, you'll need to test the FC again (it'll probably be down somewhere less than 20) and add enough to get it right back up to 25ppm....my GUESS is that'll be about 3 gallons or so.

Have an adult beverage and congratulate yourself on the money you saved not buying the floc or clarifier :lol: :lol:

Next, you have to keep doing that testing and adding around the clock, always bringing it back up to 25ppm. You'll find it will take less and less clorox each time you test and add.

Watch the filter pressure. The dead gunk you'll be filtering out will cause your pressure to rise so plan on cleaning the cartridge maybe more than once.

Keep your pump running 24/7 and brush the floor and sides at least once each day. Don't be surprised if this process doesn't take a few days.

Post back with lots of questions. There's plenty of folks here who will help you get this cleared up and your kids swimming before you know it. :lol: :lol:

I was afraid that I still had algae, but just didn't want it to be so! OK, I just put in 4 gallons of bleach that I had on hand and brushed the sides and bottom. Now I'm off to the store to get more bleach and the Borax. Thanks for the help. This is the first summer with our new pool and I'm still learning BBB. I know I've got lots to learn, and this forum is a big help. I'll post new numbers and any results tomorrow. Thanks!

Well, I brought the FC up to about 25, added the borax as you said, and scrubbed the sides and bottom! That was Saturday evening. We had a lot of rain and storms come through Sunday, and I wasn't home either, so I did nothing yesterday, except turn the pump off till I could clean my filter and check the chemistry. I was out again today till late this evening and guess what? I could see the bottom! The water is still somewhat cloudy, but I could see the bottom! I plan to add more bleach to raise the FC again and vacuum and scrub again. Here's my numbers this evening. I am finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere! Maybe we can swim this weekend! Thanks so much. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated!

CC 1
FC 10
Ph 7.4
TA 120
CYA 40

Bleach is almost always the answer. Run your FC back up to around 20ppm with more bleach and, importantly, brush and vacuum at least once each day. I had an extraordinary issue with clearing my algae-laden pool this spring. Despite having plenty of chlorine, I think now (thanks to some help) I wasn't brushing as vigourously or as often as I should have been and it took me two week to see a crystal clear pool. Keep your chlorine at 20 or so until your pool is crystal clear and keep brushing and vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.