New intex 16x48 with SWG start up question

Aug 18, 2012
Eustis, Florida
Ok so I finally got my new intex 16x 48 setup. I just got it filled last night and plan on using my Intex SWG. I'm going to get salt today. My question is should I put chlorine in the pool to start to bring up the chlorine levels so the SWG doesn't have to work so hard? If so how much do I add? Is there anything else I need to put in? I'm a first time pool owner and pretty overwhelmed. I real pool school but I'm still not sure.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Yes, you should put chlorine in the pool.
You need to allow the salt to circulate 24 hours before turning on the swg so you need some FC in there during that time anyway.

Go ahead and test and adjust the pH too.
Add enough stabilizer to get the CYA to about 50 and adjust it up from there once you have the swg running.

The Pool Calculator is your friend. Learn to use it and your life will be much easier.

Add 2 ppm per day until you get some CYA in the water. The pool calc can tell you how much bleach to add to get there. If you'll post the size of your pool in gallons we can check the amount you get from the pool calc.

You can buy stabilizer at Walmart, pool stores, Lowes, HD, Ace, etc. It will have greater than 90% cyanuric acid. You'll need about 2 lbs of it to start with. Put it in a sock or stocking and hang it in front of the return. You can squish it with your hand whenever you walk by to help it dissolve.

OK so I got my K2006 in the mail today.. Couldn't wait to get started. Ran my SWG last night for 4 hours and the pump for 6 still not sure what the sweet spot is for both of those yet since last night was my first night using them.

Here are my test results

FC= 4.5
CC=.5
PH=7.4
TA=100
CH= 50
CYA= 40 ( I just added this Wednesday so its only day 3 on that) should I wait before adding more?

How am I doing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.