First post.....pics included

Jul 6, 2012
We have talked about doing this for at least 3 years. Well, this is the year we do it. Spoke with several builders of all kinds of pools. Wound up going with a liner pool from the builder I met several years ago.

started with this
IMG_9569.jpg

came home Monday to this
IMG_9599.jpg

yesterday this
IMG_9673.jpg

Very cool site. I have lurked here for a couple months now, and used the "search" often. One question - are "main drains" not that common now?

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking work going on there.

Far fewer main drains than used to be. However, far more pools without a really deep end, too. I would say the shape of your pool would lend itself to a main drain.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. I would say the shape of your pool would lend itself to a main drain.

Thanks.

Understand on the shape. Would you care to offer the pros and cons of the main drain for me? I grew up with a liner pool in the backyard and when we started this my mom commented "you've got to have a main drain".

I spoke with a friend a couple nights ago that recently eliminated his with his last liner replacement.(deep end, but rectangle shaped) My pool builder said also that he would for go a main drain on his if he could do it over, and will be eliminating it on his first liner replacement.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Idamaya said:
duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. I would say the shape of your pool would lend itself to a main drain.

Thanks.

Understand on the shape. Would you care to offer the pros and cons of the main drain for me? I grew up with a liner pool in the backyard and when we started this my mom commented "you've got to have a main drain".

I spoke with a friend a couple nights ago that recently eliminated his with his last liner replacement.(deep end, but rectangle shaped) My pool builder said also that he would for go a main drain on his if he could do it over, and will be eliminating it on his first liner replacement.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Wow, that's a big pool!

I like it! Lots of shallow for volleyball or whatever and a deep section to satisfy the divers.

As for the main drain, I'll just repost my reply in a recent thread
It guarantees bottom circulation for starters. I also don't have the temperature stratification I've felt in many pools - it's the same at the top as at the bottom. If there's only a few pieces of debris on the bottom, I've gotten pretty good at brushing them towards the drain and away they go. No messing with the vacuum.

I too, questioned the omission of a main drain during construction of my pool. I deferred to the builder's experience/knowledge on this issue. I have only owned the pool 2 summers now, but so far I don't see the need in my pool. Here;s why:

-Proper circulation/mixing of water in the deep-end is achieved simply by strategically aiming a return. I would think this is a viable option for virtually any pool speced with an adequate number of returns.

-MD covers can often times create troublesome obstacles for automatic cleaners.

-I do not encounter any of the issues some folks run into when trying to blow out the MD during winterization.

-I have also read of several members here dealing with leaks relating to their MDs, which ultimately require them to be sealed off.

Posted this back at the start and haven't updated since. Thought I would. We did decide to not go with a main drain, and I did opt for a solar heater. I guess I should know all the equipment used, and have a really cool sig line like you guys, but I am not that far along yet. What I do know is we used a Pentair Intelliflow Variable speed pump, everything is plumbed individually with 2" PVC, 6 deck jets, 2 Color Logic LED lights, concrete is stamped and dyed a 2 tone brown, steps and swimouts are in blue granite.
This has been a good experience and I would not hesitate in recommending my builder to a friend. I have added a few pics.

IMG_9913.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will add without dropping names. Reps from the liner manufacturer came out measured, photograghed, phone called all while here, and before he left assured me not to worry a new one was already on it's way, and he was sorry for the problem. Quality customer service right there. Sometimes hard to find these days. PB reimbursed me for the water used on the first one also without asking.

I've always been leery of getting fiberglass steps in any color except white. I think it kind of locks you into a color scheme. For example I don't know how well a brownish liner would look with the dark blue steps. On the other hand, once you have a general color that matches your surroundings I doubt you'd switch from a blue to brown color anyways. Looks cool on your pool.

What are the dimensions of your pool and the depth , deep zone and swallow zone? I love the L-shape, it it's like two pools in one. It looks outstanding. Hope to see more pics, keep us informed.

X-PertPool said:
I've always been leery of getting fiberglass steps in any color except white. I think it kind of locks you into a color scheme. For example I don't know how well a brownish liner would look with the dark blue steps. On the other hand, once you have a general color that matches your surroundings I doubt you'd switch from a blue to brown color anyways. Looks cool on your pool.

We never even considered white steps, and did actually have a color scheme in mind prior. With no ladders and only blue steps and swim-outs there was no way I would have went with the white coping and diving board so the coping matches the trim on the liner and the diving board and base are tan. My wife and I thought the white was just to generic looking. I wanted to try the tan liner with the stone look boarder, and when I suggested it the look I got from the wife and PB'er was one of extreme disapproval. It was at that point I decided I would just come along for the ride.

CH_iPhone11_29_12289.jpg

CH_iPhone11_29_12297.jpg

I have to agree about the tan liner in this case. While I love the look of a tan liner I think it would have been too much sugar for a dime with that deck color. It would have blended in too much with the decking.

tan liners make the water look blueish which is cool but yeah, I think it would be too blah. It's good you have some color. Although I'm hoping one day liner manufacturers will be able to develop a dynamic pattern that isn't so obviously repeating. That's not just your liner; that's basically across the board, unless it's a grid or pebble pattern you can almost always see the repeat in the design. I know it's a small thing but it's one of my pet peeves lol

Pool looks cool! Lots of decking too

Are you going to get a safety cover for the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.