Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post.....pics included

1. Back To Top    #1

First post.....pics included

We have talked about doing this for at least 3 years. Well, this is the year we do it. Spoke with several builders of all kinds of pools. Wound up going with a liner pool from the builder I met several years ago.

started with this

came home Monday to this

yesterday this

Very cool site. I have lurked here for a couple months now, and used the "search" often. One question - are "main drains" not that common now?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: First post.....pics included

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking work going on there.

Far fewer main drains than used to be. However, far more pools without a really deep end, too. I would say the shape of your pool would lend itself to a main drain.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum. I would say the shape of your pool would lend itself to a main drain.
    Thanks.

Understand on the shape. Would you care to offer the pros and cons of the main drain for me? I grew up with a liner pool in the backyard and when we started this my mom commented "you've got to have a main drain".

I spoke with a friend a couple nights ago that recently eliminated his with his last liner replacement.(deep end, but rectangle shaped) My pool builder said also that he would for go a main drain on his if he could do it over, and will be eliminating it on his first liner replacement.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Idamaya
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum. I would say the shape of your pool would lend itself to a main drain.
    Thanks.

Understand on the shape. Would you care to offer the pros and cons of the main drain for me? I grew up with a liner pool in the backyard and when we started this my mom commented "you've got to have a main drain".

I spoke with a friend a couple nights ago that recently eliminated his with his last liner replacement.(deep end, but rectangle shaped) My pool builder said also that he would for go a main drain on his if he could do it over, and will be eliminating it on his first liner replacement.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Wow, that's a big pool!

I like it! Lots of shallow for volleyball or whatever and a deep section to satisfy the divers.

As for the main drain, I'll just repost my reply in a recent thread
    It guarantees bottom circulation for starters. I also don't have the temperature stratification I've felt in many pools - it's the same at the top as at the bottom. If there's only a few pieces of debris on the bottom, I've gotten pretty good at brushing them towards the drain and away they go. No messing with the vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I too, questioned the omission of a main drain during construction of my pool. I deferred to the builder's experience/knowledge on this issue. I have only owned the pool 2 summers now, but so far I don't see the need in my pool. Here;s why:

-Proper circulation/mixing of water in the deep-end is achieved simply by strategically aiming a return. I would think this is a viable option for virtually any pool speced with an adequate number of returns.

-MD covers can often times create troublesome obstacles for automatic cleaners.

-I do not encounter any of the issues some folks run into when trying to blow out the MD during winterization.

-I have also read of several members here dealing with leaks relating to their MDs, which ultimately require them to be sealed off.
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mx702
    -MD covers can often times create troublesome obstacles for automatic cleaners.
    This was the reason my friend had his removed.

Anybody use a solar heater?

7. Back To Top    #7

Posted this back at the start and haven't updated since. Thought I would. We did decide to not go with a main drain, and I did opt for a solar heater. I guess I should know all the equipment used, and have a really cool sig line like you guys, but I am not that far along yet. What I do know is we used a Pentair Intelliflow Variable speed pump, everything is plumbed individually with 2" PVC, 6 deck jets, 2 Color Logic LED lights, concrete is stamped and dyed a 2 tone brown, steps and swimouts are in blue granite.
    This has been a good experience and I would not hesitate in recommending my builder to a friend. I have added a few pics.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I'm surprised they used a shop vac, they have special liner vacuums for this purpose that are much stronger. Looks good anyways
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

The liner in the picture was removed. When replaced they used the liner vacs you are talking about. More effective and considerably more quiet.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Did they say what was wrong with the liner?
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Did they say what was wrong with the liner?
    Yes. Eight inches too short! As it was filling I was thinking "this just doesn't look right". Sure enough when the new one went in the difference was amazing.

12. Back To Top    #12

I will add without dropping names. Reps from the liner manufacturer came out measured, photograghed, phone called all while here, and before he left assured me not to worry a new one was already on it's way, and he was sorry for the problem. Quality customer service right there. Sometimes hard to find these days. PB reimbursed me for the water used on the first one also without asking.

13. Back To Top    #13

looks great! Its nice to hear there are still good people out there that take care of the customer. Thats what good business is all about.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

I've always been leery of getting fiberglass steps in any color except white. I think it kind of locks you into a color scheme. For example I don't know how well a brownish liner would look with the dark blue steps. On the other hand, once you have a general color that matches your surroundings I doubt you'd switch from a blue to brown color anyways. Looks cool on your pool.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

15. Back To Top    #15

What are the dimensions of your pool and the depth , deep zone and swallow zone? I love the L-shape, it it's like two pools in one. It looks outstanding. Hope to see more pics, keep us informed.

16. Back To Top    #16

Main drains a must

Little late but I had a leak in my liner and having main drains may have saved my pumps just my thoughts
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    I've always been leery of getting fiberglass steps in any color except white. I think it kind of locks you into a color scheme. For example I don't know how well a brownish liner would look with the dark blue steps. On the other hand, once you have a general color that matches your surroundings I doubt you'd switch from a blue to brown color anyways. Looks cool on your pool.
    We never even considered white steps, and did actually have a color scheme in mind prior. With no ladders and only blue steps and swim-outs there was no way I would have went with the white coping and diving board so the coping matches the trim on the liner and the diving board and base are tan. My wife and I thought the white was just to generic looking. I wanted to try the tan liner with the stone look boarder, and when I suggested it the look I got from the wife and PB'er was one of extreme disapproval. It was at that point I decided I would just come along for the ride.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have to agree about the tan liner in this case. While I love the look of a tan liner I think it would have been too much sugar for a dime with that deck color. It would have blended in too much with the decking.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Where are you located? Looks like you have a couple of very eager young ones ready to take on the job of Pool Tester!
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

tan liners make the water look blueish which is cool but yeah, I think it would be too blah. It's good you have some color. Although I'm hoping one day liner manufacturers will be able to develop a dynamic pattern that isn't so obviously repeating. That's not just your liner; that's basically across the board, unless it's a grid or pebble pattern you can almost always see the repeat in the design. I know it's a small thing but it's one of my pet peeves lol

Pool looks cool! Lots of decking too

Are you going to get a safety cover for the pool?
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast