Intex Model 8111 SWG dead

joe37

Aug 21, 2012
Hello everyone, Im new to the site. Hope someone can give me advice on how to fix my problem.

This pump is out of warranty, but this is the first year I have ran it. It was pumping fine, but when I checked it the next day it had died. It will not come on and there is nothing on digital display. I called Intex to see if they could give me some tips, but struck out there. They said buy a new pump. I have checked voltage at the switch and it is good. I cannot find a wiring diagram to see exactly where the issue is. I also checked the soldered in fuses on the board and they check good. This is as far as I have went. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Checked a few other components this afternoon and found that the 24v power supply has died. I still would like to have a wiring diagram or control parts list to work off of. Intex has done a good job hiding mfg part numbers on the components, so I propably will not be able to find the power supply because it has no markings. It is located underneath the unit in case anyone else has had this issue and needs to find it. If I could find one off of a pump that someone has discarded it would be great. I am going to look on ebay tomorrow. Any other info would still be appreciated. Thanks

Hello Joe37,
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Glad to have you here.
So just to clarify, when you say there is nothing on the digital display, do you also mean that none of the lights are lit up either, IE. the service light at the bottom right corner, or the sleep indicator light at the bottom left corner?

The power plug should be equipped with a GFCI circuit breaker, when you engage it, Red button IIRC, do you hear it "CLICK"?
If not, push the yellow button to trip it, then th red button again to see if it clicks. Note, it takes a firm, solid press, sometimes it doesn't engage and you have to do it again, but don't be rough with it. Do both click, or only one?

It has a flow sensor & won't turn on or run if it is not sensing water, even if there's an air bubble it'll cut power.
Not sure if it will cut the LED display though.

You have to close the plunger valves and bleed the system to remove the cartridge.
Check for blockage in the hoses, skimmer basket in the pool, if equipped with one as well as check the filter itself, unscrew the retaining ring, pull up on the housing, wash it off with a garden hose @ a 45deg. angle to get out all the dirt & debris you can, gently checking in-between the pleats with your fingers. Before reinstalling, check the cartridge housing for blockage at the inlet/outlet.

Make sure your plunger valves are open on the inlet and outlet of the pool and water is entering the unit through the hoses, if not, correct this, then go ahead and open both air release valves, 1-2 turns and then raise/lower hoses until water starts to come out, then close when air stops coming out.

Push & hold the lock/unlock button for 5 seconds, anything on the display? If not, push & hold that same button + the timer button (clock) together for 5 seconds, does the display light up /w "FP" and the pump turn on?

Also, check the flow sensor for dirt/debris/buildup, it's the one in the short section of clear tubing, just before the pump. Unscrew by hand in a counter clockwise direction.
If rinsing it off doesn't get it all, use a toothbrush or other soft bristled nylon brush to clean the hinge and surface, do not use a wire brush.
When done inspecting & cleaning, align the notch on the bottom of the sensor, with the ridge in the housing, turn clockwise to tighten. Do not over tighten, this means just snug by hand, don't "wrench" on it. ;)

Also, you say it is out of warranty?
It has a 2yr. warranty through Intex, did you buy it and it sat this whole time before you finally hooked it up to use it?
It sounds like you only ran it for one day, correct?
What's the condition of your pool, I'm assuming you moved from a dedicated cartridge filter only, the one that came with your pool?

I saw your reply after I posted, but this still applies.

Do check the GFCI switch and respond on the other questions.
I'm betting you probably have, as it sounds like you are pretty handy, but just to be on the safe side.

Also, verify that the outlet itself that your SWG is plugged into is live and working, check the cord for damage from pets, pests, people, rocks, etc...

By reading your post it sounds like you are technically savvy. I read that you have AC into the unit but no 24volts coming out. I recall from another post that there is a transformer inside these units, I would check for voltage coming out of that. If no output then look for a slight bump in the wrapper that covers the windings. This would be a thermal fuse that burns out when the transformer temp gets too high. These fuses usually have the max temp listed on them, you can usually buy them at Radioshack. I have repaired a bunch of equipment by replacing these, you need to solder them in and make sure it's wrapped back up well.
This site shows an example: http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/re ... eaker.html
I've seen more that look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Thermal-Fuse ... 0579771884

As for a schematic, good luck on that one. I do know there's a post on here somewhere where someone modified their unit.

Thanks for the replies,

I do have voltage to the unit and through the on/off switch, but none of the lights or display are working.

Mike, the transformer/power supply is completely sealed. I am going to try and break into it this afternoon after work and see if it has a fuse.

Thanks again! I will post results after I break into it.

No luck breaking into the transformer. It is inside a plastic box with epoxy resin poured all the way around. I tried chipping away at it but realized that if I ever made it down to where there might be a fuse, it would be to torn up to repair.

At this point I cannot find an used or broken one that is economical to buy for parts., so I think I am going to have to purchase a new one.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good reliable SWG that parts can be purchase for, if any issues arise. I prefer not to go back with INTEX. My pool is 24' round X 48" deep and holds around 12K gallons. This is our first larger pool. I caught it on sale about five years ago and just set it up this year. I have four children and was waiting on the littlest two to get big enough to touch bottom before I set it up.

Thanks

joe37 said:
No luck breaking into the transformer. It is inside a plastic box with epoxy resin poured all the way around. I tried chipping away at it but realized that if I ever made it down to where there might be a fuse, it would be to torn up to repair.
Get the dremel out and cut it open for the sake of science. :mrgreen:

Surely there's a way to melt it off, there's gotta be.
I'll do some digging at some point if I have time tomorrow. Nothing is impenetrable!!! :twisted:

As far as parts go, I dug around and found this for ya. It's maybe, what, about 1/2 the cost of the unit?
Definitely lots of spare parts back and forth for sure, but you should just be able to drop & go. I'm guessing these were units that the cell died on, so they just stripped them.
INTEX CS8110 Krystal Clear Saltwater System (ELECTRONIC STATION/POWER SUPPLY)

You could try CL (Craig's List) too.

Also, any numbers at all on that winding? Anything you can use to try and figure out what it is, so you can cross reference it? If there are no P/Ns, Assy. nums, etc... Maybe there are amperage/power ratings on it. Then you could measure the unit, and search based on that. I have done that before, you'd be surprised what you can find when you start plugging in the numbers. But I won't say it's easy..... HAHA! :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL to the bust it open theory! I wanted to take the sledge hammer to it!

That is a decent deal on the ebay item. Just not sure if I want to sink anymore money into an Intex unit. It is somewhat different though. The Power Supply has its own power cord where mine is actually wired in through the control. Still shouldnt be any problem to switch over. My power supply looks exactly like the one pictured in the plastic box next to the programmable control, but mine is located upside down underneath the unit. No numbers on the power supply anywhere except for the quality stamp.

I was actually looking on Craigslist on my phone while I was pulling up the forum on my laptop. I am finding some pretty good deals on some used units. Seems that everyone is trying to get rid of there pools and accessories before winter. I like a buyers market :-D

I have dealt with a few Hayward pumps at my work. They seem to do pretty well for our waste treatment process. Any opinions on how well their pool SWG's perform and hold up?

Thanks for all the help so far! Hopefully I can return the favor someday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.