Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dunk Tank Water Safety

1. Back To Top    #1

Dunk Tank Water Safety

I was not sure which forum to post to.

Ok, I have been asked to participate in a fundraiser at work. I will be in a Dunk Tank for 20 minutes. No problem there, except that I am the 15th person out of 16 to be in the tank. The temperature is forecasted to be 88 degrees tomorrow. The dunk tank will be in use form 10AM unitl 2PM when I get in. I am thinking this water will be very unsanitary. I think the tank holds 350 gallons. I am guessing no water treatment or filtration.

I am planning to add some bleach before I get in. How much should I put in and how long should I wait?

Any other suggestions?

P.S. I am very particular about my water in my pool and hot tub. I test it a few times a week and keep it perfect. So you can imange I am a little freaked out about this dunk tank.

Thanks!
    4th Year Pool owner in Sinking Spring PA
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dunk Tank Water Safety

Ah the things we TFP members now worry about

Since there is clearly not going to be any CYA in the water, you likely should not go over 10ppm on the FC. One cup (8 oz) of 6% bleach will raise the FC by 11ppm ... likely some of that will be consumed very quickly. This could actually result in more irritation and smell if the FC quickly consume and convert to CC. Not really sure what the "correct" solution is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

Better safe than sorry.
    46'x23' Free Form Concrete (34,000 gallons), Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen Finish, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Pentair D.E. FNS Filter, Pentair MasterTemp heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Should I add 1/2 a cup wait a few minutes and add the other 1/2? Will that help?

5. Back To Top    #5

Toss part of a bag of Dichlor (before the event begins) in or ask them to setup a Trichlor floater in it (small spa sized would work). You get the CYA and chlorine in one shot.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I wouldn't add more than 5 ppm of chlorine at one time. Levels higher than that, with no CYA, can damage clothing and cause skin irritation. 5 ppm of chlorine is well above shock level when CYA is really zero, and should take care of things. If you want to be really through, measure the FC level after 10 minutes and repeat the chlorine dose if FC has fallen to zero.

The main issue is mixing the chlorine into the water. I'm not sure how you would do that other than getting into the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I kind of like the idea of dichlor, but wonder if it will affect too much and just might be overkill. The added CYA would at least make the FC less harsh. You might get less looks adding a spoon of powder than dumping chlorine in

1 oz (1/16 of a bag) will raise FC by 12ppm, CYA by 11ppm, and lower the pH by 0.45

Based on Jason's comment, might only want to start with half that though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

1 oz of dichlor is appropriate. Dichlor includes CYA, and with almost any CYA in the water much higher FC levels are just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School