Newbie with 1st Test

RSA

Aug 16, 2012
Hi,
So glad I found this site. After many many years of pool struggles I am prepared to follow BBB.
Current problem appears to be yellow algae. Treated with Dupont All Purpose Algaecide and it's gone for a few days but always creeps back. Tried No-Phos also to no avail. Then I found this site. Using automatic Hayward tab chlorination with Leisure Time Trichloro-s triazinetrione 3" tabs. Noticed the CL levels didn't seem to be very high even though the tabs were being used up. Also have tried to get PH levels up all summer. Dumped quite a bit of Soda Ash trying to accomplish this. My TA was 110 when I tested with cheapo Leslies old kit. I purchased the TF-100 recently and my results follow:

FC - 1
CC - 2
TC - 3
PH - 6.8
TA - 8
CYA - 50
Cal Hard - 50

Looks like I have to get my TA & PH up then shock. It hasn't been easy! Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

How many drops did you use for the TA and CH tests? Each drop is 10ppm, so not sure how your got a TA of 8ppm???

Tablets in the chlorinator are adding FC and CYA. The FC gets used up, but the CYA stays in the water. When CYA gets too high, the tablets will no longer be adding enough FC to keep the algae at bay. You CYA of 50ppm, is at the upper limit for what we recommend, so switching to liquid chlorine (bleach) is your best option right now.

Also, the tablets are very acidic, and thus drive pH (and TA) down. When you switch away from the tablets, the pH should not be dropping as radically.

We do not typically recommend any algaecides or worrying about phosphates. You just have to maintain the correct FC levels for your CYA.

Since you are seeing algae, you need to go through the shock process as described in Pool School.

I recommend reading all the articles in Pool School a few times to increase you understanding of the pool chemicals and what they do and then start the shock process to eliminate the algae.

Feel free to ask questions about anything you read.

Looks like I have to get my TA & PH up then shock
Right on the money. Follow the "shock" article in Pool School to the letter. Once your pool is sparkling clear, you can fine tune your parameters a bit but your priorities are exactly as you describe.

I assume you mean 8 drops for a TA of 80ppm.

duraleigh said:
Looks like I have to get my TA & PH up then shock
Right on the money. Follow the "shock" article in Pool School to the letter. Once your pool is sparkling clear, you can fine tune your parameters a bit but your priorities are exactly as you describe.

I assume you mean 8 drops for a TA of 80ppm.

Yes, that's 80ppm. Sorry about that. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.