Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
As leaves have been dropping with more frequency, they get sucked into the skimmer basket (as they should) but it causes a pressure drop, air in the system, significant tension in the suction side hose and eventually the skimmer basket is sideways and the water level in the pump is very low and return flow is pretty choked down. My wife stays home so she has just been more diligent in checking and clearing the basket. I just ordered a solar cover so surely that will reduce the leaves, but it seems like everything is operating normal and this is simply an unavoidable end result. If we were away for a full day or something I would not want to leave the filter running, nor do I leave it run overnight. Is there any way around this or is it an inevitability with leaves and trees?

You could try a PoolSkim. That would take some of the load off your skimmer.

Also, if all the plumbing and suction side seals (i.e. basket lid & drain plug) are as leak free as they should be, increasing the suction head won't cause air in the pump basket.

There are skimmers that hook up to a return. They use a venturi to create suction from the water flow and collect debris in a mesh bag. There are two that get decent reviews. One is "PoolSkim" and I think the other is "Dragonfly". Never used either one but I imagine having another skimmer that traps and keeps debris away from the main skimmer would help. Theres a few posts on this board that detail putting barriers up against the skimmer like a milk crate.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/low-cost-leaf-blocker-t28778.html?hilit=milk crate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.