Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaves in skimmer cause air in system

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaves in skimmer cause air in system

As leaves have been dropping with more frequency, they get sucked into the skimmer basket (as they should) but it causes a pressure drop, air in the system, significant tension in the suction side hose and eventually the skimmer basket is sideways and the water level in the pump is very low and return flow is pretty choked down. My wife stays home so she has just been more diligent in checking and clearing the basket. I just ordered a solar cover so surely that will reduce the leaves, but it seems like everything is operating normal and this is simply an unavoidable end result. If we were away for a full day or something I would not want to leave the filter running, nor do I leave it run overnight. Is there any way around this or is it an inevitability with leaves and trees?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaves in skimmer cause air in system

You could try a PoolSkim. That would take some of the load off your skimmer.

Also, if all the plumbing and suction side seals (i.e. basket lid & drain plug) are as leak free as they should be, increasing the suction head won't cause air in the pump basket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There are skimmers that hook up to a return. They use a venturi to create suction from the water flow and collect debris in a mesh bag. There are two that get decent reviews. One is "PoolSkim" and I think the other is "Dragonfly". Never used either one but I imagine having another skimmer that traps and keeps debris away from the main skimmer would help. Theres a few posts on this board that detail putting barriers up against the skimmer like a milk crate.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/low-c...t=milk%20crate
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by yeggim
    Theres a few posts on this board that detail putting barriers up against the skimmer like a milk crate.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/low-c...t=milk%20crate
    I think this will do it, thanks! I'm in Chicago so not like the pool will stay open through the fall, something simple and low cost, just what I needed! I love the creativity of TFPers!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)