Intermatic timer won't turn on/off pump.

TheLoneHoot said:
Interesting. Hmmm. Well I guess my solution isn't necessarily THE fix for this problem. Oh well, at $3.49 it's not a bad place to start! ;)
Think I paid 2.99 for the pair. I am in the process of replacing my 2 mech timers with a digital if I can figure out the wiring to make sure my freeze sensor starts both pumps when needed.

Hello, my wife and I just bought a house here in Arizona and the other day, I moved the "on/off" trippers on the "intermatic timer" (for the pool pump to turn on/off at different times than what the previous owner had them set at). Since then, it's no longer automatically turning on or off the pump at the set times. All I did was hand unscrew the on/off trippers and moved them a few cm's. Is there a trick to setting these things or do I need for the trippers to be set into a "groove" on the timer or something? I've attached a photo of the timer.

If anyone has any advice or can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

I hope the following is of value. First, I will assume that the pump may be manually started/stopped. Second that the yellow clock face is actually turning. If so, my focus is on the trippers/triggers. These little guys appear strong/sturdy but they are not! They are likely constructed of "pot" metal and are easily bent/distorted with moderate/moderate plus digital pressure.

If on the first placement of the trips they are over-tightened e.g., using pliers, the smaller outer phalange will flair outwardly with the longer inner phalange hugging the inner yellow clock face. It is critical that the inner phalange absolutely hugs the clock plate or the trip will NOT function.

With the above noted, all is well until the subsequent trip adjustment. If the outer phalange is bent outwardly, upon tightening it to the plate, the inner phalange will tip inwardly creating a gap and result in a trip failure. The remedy is simply to reposition the phalanges closer together if bent or buy a new set e.g., at Amazon for $3.15. Use only digital pressure to tighten the set screw and absolutely leave the pliers in the tool box (-:

New to the forum - i have an Intermatic timer like the one pictured above that won't shut off. Haven't seen my symptoms anywhere on the forum, so --- It's nearly brand new, as the previous one stopped working (the gears in the back were no longer turning.) This one worked for a couple months, but in the past few weeks, it turns on at the correct time, but when it gets to the "off" tripper, the dial stops turning, and the switch doesn't turn off. i have moved the tripper, and the dial always stops where the tripper is. I have checked the tripper, and the flanges are not bent, although I did follow one bit of YouTube advice and tightened the trippers with pliers when they slipped around on the dial instead of tripping the switch. I have checked the switch, and it has a firm, solid motion but is not stuck. Short of replacing a nearly new timer, I'm out of ideas. Anybody have a suggestion?

Hello, my wife and I just bought a house here in Arizona and the other day, I moved the "on/off" trippers on the "intermatic timer" (for the pool pump to turn on/off at different times than what the previous owner had them set at). Since then, it's no longer automatically turning on or off the pump at the set times. All I did was hand unscrew the on/off trippers and moved them a few cm's. Is there a trick to setting these things or do I need for the trippers to be set into a "groove" on the timer or something? I've attached a photo of the timer.

If anyone has any advice or can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

I recently had the same problem with a brand new intermatic timer. It turned out the timer wheel was a little bent, so depending on where the "off" trigger was placed, it would engage the lever or not. I just bent the wheel back to flat and the triggers work at every location. I think that might explain why your triggers work in some places but not others.

We can ON/OFF the motor manually with OVERRIDE, dial rotating but gets struck when it is at ON/OFF tripper time. So we couldn't make the motor ON/OFF automatically. We replaced new trippers recently but still of no use. I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding this. Thank you so much.

I'm having the same issue guys. My wife mentioned it stopped working after a storm blew through. Nothing is tripped on the breaker box though. The gears are turning (in the little "window"), but the ON/OFF triggers will not trip it. We have to manually turn it on and off every time. It's in the basement, so it's a pain.

One thing I noticed, that without pulling the yellow dial out to set the time, I can just spin in freely. I took the panel off to see if any of the gears were stripped, and they weren't, from what I could tell. Is it normal to be able to freely turn the yellow dial with ease?

My next option is to just buy a new timer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm new to owning a pool and very green. When we bought the house 4 months ago we had a new timer installed and it was working great. I recently took over my pool from the pool company and the pump was running for far too long. I reset the on and off dogs to new times and now the pump does not turn on or off. I reset the time on the timer and it does not appear to be keeping proper time.

This may be a really stupid question, but what direction is the yellow dial supposed to spin? I really hope it's clockwise since it's a timer.

I'll recheck everything mentioned in this thread again this evening.

Thank you

I'm new to owning a pool and very green. When we bought the house 4 months ago we had a new timer installed and it was working great. I recently took over my pool from the pool company and the pump was running for far too long. I reset the on and off dogs to new times and now the pump does not turn on or off. I reset the time on the timer and it does not appear to be keeping proper time.

This may be a really stupid question, but what direction is the yellow dial supposed to spin? I really hope it's clockwise since it's a timer.

I'll recheck everything mentioned in this thread again this evening.

Thank you

See if it keeps time if you remove all the dogs. If it does, you may have put the one of the dogs on slightly crooked and it was getting hung up. Make sure the dog is all the way on to the disk--the rim should touch the bottom of the U formed by the dog.

Ok, I figured it out. The new timer is wired incorrectly. The switch to turn control the helper pump now also controls the timer. i can not run the timer without the helper pump being on as well.
Pool3.jpg
The picture rotated when I uploaded but it is the "top"switch in this picture. You can clearly see the line from the breaker box to the timer, then the lines to each pump. The switch should only control the helper pump. :confused:

the timer face is likely out of alignment with the large gear on the backside of it. remove the screw that says do not remove, careful not to loose the spring. turn off main power, flip timer to on, remove yellow dial and look at it from the side. the gear and the yellow dial should be parallel, if not gently bend the yellow dial until it is relatively parallel to the gear. make sure the trippers are tight against the backside of the yellow dial. put it back together and off ya go. the breaker is tripping because the pump is demanding more power at startup....if the pump has a capacitor, (small barrel covering on the outside of the pump) you may be able to just replace that...otherwise you need new breakers. not too expensive.

My timer on my pump doesn’t always go completely to the off position, happens about twice a week and I’ll go out there and barely touch it and it goes off, everything is new, I’ve taken the on/off tabs off and they’re in good shape, could they possibly be to tight or not tight enough on the timer dial?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.